Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arsalan

U.s. Soldier Turns Muslim M.c

:D

Some may regard this brothers path a little unorthodox.. but hey the "Lord works in mysterious ways!" :biggrin:

image.jpg

kareem.jpg

U.S. Soldier turns Muslim M.C

We caught up with Kareem Sayfullah, an aspiring Muslim artist out of Flint, Michigan, which is incidentally is the home town of Fahrenheit 9/11’s Michael Moore. There seems to be a common link between growing up in that environment and creating a medium to speak out against the injustices in the world. Find out about Kareem’s views on politics, Islam and the Muslim hip hop scene. MHH: Are you originally from Flint, Michigan?

KAREEM: I was born on Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Michigan. Around two years after, my father left my mother. With no nowhere else to go, we moved in with our uncle in Flint, Michigan. Flint is a gutter, seriously, the whole city is a ghetto; doesn’t matter if your black, white, brown or purple…unless you’re making $200,000 a year, you’re living in a slum. That was my experience. I grew up poor, but my mother made sure I never went with out the basics. That’s what I love when someone asks, “What do you know about the streets?� Plenty, I spent my childhood running ‘em.

MHH: Many people join the military because they feel it’s the only way to get them out of poverty. Is that why you joined the military?

KAREEM: I had several reasons, for one I was tired of being broke and living in that environment. I had no money or a way to keep paying for studio time, so I figured the army pays for your food, your housing, medical…all that junk. I was already dodging bullets in Flint. So why not join the army and get paid for it? I also figured it was a good way to possibly meet other people who rap or produce and maybe had connections in the music industry.

MHH: How did your military experience impact your lyrics?

KAREEM: Most of my lyrics are about life and what I have experienced prior to the military; but parts that were influenced by my military career are probably my distrust and disgust with the U.S. government. The army showed me that you got to look out for yourself, because man, these cowards don’t care about you unless your family makes a $200,000 a year contribution to ‘em. They (Army personnel) used to tell us all the time we were expendable. That’s just wrong. I understand when your in the military there is that chance that you can die, and of course you will be replaced, but I don’t believe any human life is expendable. I mean, how would they feel if I said “Oh the people who died on 9/11 were expendable�? They'd go into a rage…the F.B.I would probably be at my house tomorrow and I would be called “unpatriotic�, a “traitor� or a “terrorist�. I just don’t believe you could ever say something like that to a human being. We are all unique, regardless of color, race, creed or religion.

MHH: I know this is a broad question, but what's the biggest problem in the world today and what can you say about its solution (if any)?

KAREEM: Well, in the Muslim world, its unification. We are too divided; shouldn’t matter if you’re a Shia or Sunni. A Muslim is a Muslim; and we need to stand together so they can’t tear us down! In the world in general, it’s the lack of compassion for your fellow man. Leaders seem to believe that war will resolve any problem and it won’t. War creates nothing but more discontent and chaos. Bush wants the middle-east to be peaceful, but I have yet to see him condemn israel for their humanitarian violations. What about their nuclear arms? We know for a fact what they have, but let’s flame Iraq for weapons that you say they have but don’t. So now because of his actions, you have created an unstable nation in a region that’s already unstable, feel me? It’s crazy, the lack of compassion for your fellow human being.

MHH: How (details) did you come to Islam?

KAREEM: I had been struggling with Christianity for years too many things; didn’t add up or make sense. Like why would God need a son? That you have to pray to him to ask for forgiveness? I mean, didn’t God tell Adam and Eve after he cast them out that to seek repentance all they had to do was come to him and ask? Plus, too many people in the church are just fake, ya know? On Sunday, their all holy, but come Saturday they were out shaking their junk in a club in front of someone they didn’t even know. I had always been curious about Islam, but like a lot of westerner’s views, I always thought you had to be Arab or African American you know? That’s the common misconception. So in 2001, after I got done with all my army training, I ended up being deployed to Kuwait. I saw it as the perfect opportunity to get educated. Something in my heart had been telling me Islam is the way, and it is. I’m much happier and peaceful now more then ever.

MHH: Alhamdulillah. Musically, which artists have influenced you the most?

KAREEM: Man…over all, I would have to say Pac. Most people that hear my music often tell me they can tell I’m influenced by Pac. I love the man, I mean he was gifted. His music wasn’t just some random nonsense ya know? It had meaning, and a message. It’s a shame he passed away so early. I really believe he could have united more people

MHH: What do you do when you're not making music (school, work, etc)?

KAREEM: Basically, I don’t do anything but music. I don’t work because I get disability. I don’t go to school. So mostly I just spend time with my kids, which is something new since being out of the military. And just work on my music!

MHH: Who was your favorite artist to collaborate with?

KAREEM: Right now I’m working on a song with Sheikh Spear, which I’m very excited about. The brother is very talented; his rhymes are so poetic. So I feel like I’m blessed to be collaborating with him. I’m also working on something with an artist named Rasul…right now we just trying to find the right beat! And of course, I love collaborating with my producer, x7!

MHH: What are your goals with your hip hop career?

KAREEM: For one to get this album out soon as possible. This is something I have been waiting for, for about 7 years! So, I figured I’ll release independently, get a little buzz going, and Inshallah maybe I’ll get offered some good record contracts! Also to show that there are some great Muslim artists out there. I don’t think we have very many that are really showing our positive points. We have too many that are reinforcing the stereotypes that are already thought of us, I want to change that.

MHH: How is the Islamic Music scene where you live?

KAREEM: The “Islamic music scene� here is non existent but inshallah that will change if this album can become somewhat successful then that will allow me to sign other Muslim artists an get the word out, it'll all work out in due time!

Check out Kareem’s artist page at "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimac(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/artists/kareem.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimac(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/artists/kareem.html[/url]

Post Your Comments Below

Edited by AbdulMajid

PropellerAds

:D hmmmmmmmm...... kinda makes you think of the paradox of the many people who convert to Islam becuase they had a muslim boyfriend/girlfriend- in that would they have converted had not the muslim they were going out with not comitted the sin?

Asalamualaykum,

I'm sorry did I missed the part of him having a muslim girlfriend, sophiya?

From :  MuslimAC(contact admin if its a beneficial link) - Muslim Artists Central <muslimac[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)>

Sent :  Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:42 PM

To :  muslim_mary[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Subject :  RE: Music-Kinds of

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

asalaam alaikum,

I'm sorry but almost all of them contain musical instruments.

For drum and percussion listen to: Native Deen, sonz of the crescent,

================

Jetmir Decani

Muslim Artists Central - muslimac(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

>From: "Mary Krapf" <muslim_mary[at]hotmail.

om>

>To: muslimac[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

>Subject: Music-Kinds of

>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:46:55 -0600

>

From: Mary Krapf <muslim_mary[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)>

To: muslimac[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Subject: Music-Kinds of

Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:46 PM

Asalamualaykum,

I was just wondering what kinds of instruments were in the songs before I listened to them.

Jazakallah,

Mary

Asalamualaykum,

I'm sorry did I missed the part of him having a muslim girlfriend, sophiya?

no, my fault- i didn't explain very well. i was just thinking out loud- in that the term Islamic hip hop scene is an oxymoron in itself and even though it is unorthadox there are people who become muslims becuase they are first interested in and get into muslim rappers and singers- so if that is haram and there weren't any muslim rappers and singers would these people that converted becuase of it, still be muslims- so thinking along that line, i said it can be like people who become muslims becuase they had muslim partners that comitted the sin to be with them- i am just trying to say its amazing how good can come out of the sin people make. i wasn't saying it about this guy- just the word unorthadox got me thinking if u get my drift...

asalamualaykum,

Bismilliah! I see your point, wow how odd is that. I was thinking while I was working today why did he reply sorry if he knows he's doing something wrong why is he still doing it. astagfurallah :D

asalamualaykum,

Bismilliah! I see your point, wow how odd is that. I was thinking while I was working today why did he reply sorry if he knows he's doing something wrong why is he still doing it. astagfurallah  :D

i know- i really don't understand people and why they do half the things they do- becuase muslim or not- you know deep down when your doing something which isn't good....

I agree with you sisters. BUT, and this is a BIG but, at least is MUSLIM now ( as far as i can read into the article) That above all is very important in the greater scheme of things.

Allah ( swt) gives guidence for ppl to Islam, even through sinners, and wrongdoers, and the humilation of ppl. This is sometimes how it works. Its hard to understand, but the human mind works in strange ways too.

May Allah guide him/

Edited by AbdulMajid

There are several Muslims in the Rap scene, for example Everlast, and Q-Tip from a Tribe Called Quest. Yes, I know music is haram, and it would all be great if we lived perfect lives, but we're not angels. I hope, InshaAllah, that they will get Islamically acceptable jobs, but right now I'm just concentrating on trying to make myself a better person. Until then, I have no right to be hypocritical about another brother/sister's job.

peace out.

i'm sorry, but that is a rubbish excuse- regardless of what a person thinks- u should never get into the trap of saying, that ur concentrating on urself and its hypocritical to comment on it otherwise- well nobody ever attains perfection in matter especially not deen- but u strive for it. u r meant to share knowledge so if u find something is haram u should share it with others and speak out against it- regardless of were u r in iman- it becomes hypocritical when u start to encourage them and constantly tell someone to leave this alone and do that when u urself aren't doing anything of the sort- and i would like to point out that actually nobody judged the guy or condemned him- u can't go around saying stuff like "i know its haram, but ...." its dangerous

i'm sorry, but that is a rubbish excuse- regardless of what a person thinks- u should never get into the trap of saying, that ur concentrating on urself and its hypocritical to comment on it otherwise- well nobody ever attains perfection in matter especially not deen- but u strive for it. u r meant to share knowledge so if u find something is haram u should share it with others and speak out against it- regardless of were u r in iman- it becomes hypocritical when u start to encourage them and constantly tell someone to leave this alone and do that when u urself aren't doing anything of the sort- and i would like to point out that actually nobody judged the guy or condemned him- u can't go around saying stuff like "i know its haram, but ...." its dangerous

:D Whoa, calm down sis. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I said that his job is haram, but I have no right to say that because my job is haram in a way also. I work at a pizza place that sells pork; Insha'Allah I'm quitting in a month, but until then I have no right to tell people not to do something when I am doing it myself. That's what I meant. I'm not encouraging him to make music. There is a hadith that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that in hell there is a man walking around a mill like a donkey. The poeple ask "What has happened to you?" He said "I was enjoing people to do such and such, but I was not doing it myself."

Let's try to calm down here, brothers and sisters. Whenever I give my opinion, people lash out at me, muslims and non-muslims. Have you noticed I haven't been coming here as often?