Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sunshinez

Table or Floor For Meals/Lunch/Breakfast?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Table or Floor For Meals/Lunch/Breakfast?

• Floor
    • Dinner Table

edit ..............................

PropellerAds

:D

kool thread...only time i ate on the floor was when it was ramzahn...we invited a few mates over and we ate on the floor....all the food couldnt fit on the table....anyhow...i aint got a dinnner table..i just grab and table and eat there....and i think am kind of excused cause when i sit on the floor my legs ache...serious...they ache mad....i know it is sunnat to eat on the floor...jazakallah for provinf that sis ^

sos i forgot to add..sis sunshinez your not a weirdo to eat on the floor..just explain to that perosn innit...am sure she will understand

asalamu alaikum

I have always sat on the floor and eat.

Not to go off topic here, but I read in a book some where that those who know about a certain sunnah and do not implement it, will be asked why not and punished for it on the day of judgement? Not sure, if some one could clarify please. And also, those who know the sunnah and do implement it, the prophet will tell them to keep away from him on that day where Allah will only listen to him and no body else? Again, not sure, if someone could please clarify.

ive not heard the above ...im sure someone can clarify though....

I sit wherever..

If I can find a seat at the the table I sit there and if not, I sit on the floor. Mostly I sit by the table.

right...didnt know mood would come in to this....unusual

Sometimes floor, sometimes table...most of the time table....

i think many of us eat on the table.....hardly anyone i know eats on the floor

asalamu alaikum

Something like when that guy came to the prophet and he had no beard and a huge moustach, the prophet turned his face away from him. I was thinking maybe those who know the sunnah and yet dont implement it, the prophet will turn his face away from them too?

Oh, and why is it that we only implement those sunnahs that we like and wont make us look fools or out of trend? This will be a good discussion, I aint trying to get at anybody here, its something I myself do a lot so dont think its aimed at anybody here!

i like to enjoy my food when eating, if i sit on the floor i cant eat. when i go holiday to bangladesh i somtimes do sit on the floor but i feel alot of discomfort.

alhamduliah the prophet had very noble reasons why he didnt eat at the table. but eating from table is a common thing in the uk, if you wanna be like the poor that means sitting on the sofa front of the tele.

asalamu alaikum

right...didnt know mood would come in to this....unusual

Sister, she may mean that if she is in the 'Pious' mood or the 'Western/Forget about Sunnah' mood.

Not sure!

lol ok..pious mood..lol at that one that made me crack

its very common in uk..in fact i aint been to anyones house and ate on the floor...except for when it was ramzahn

i agree bro d ziner...we like ...etc.....deffo

asalamu alaikum

Hmm, that is also very common. We forget the Sunnah when our friends and relatives come. In my home, you eat on the floor or you dont eat. We dont forsake the Sunnah and the blessings that come with it whilst eating sitting down for anything and anyone!

No wonder we all feel full up to quick!

thats true...when people come...etc....its hard though for some to sit and eat on the floor like myself...takes like will power or something....inshallah i shall think about this before eating....useful thread..jazakallah for startin it...gives us all something to ponder over

On tables 90% of the times...doesnt have to be a dinner table...dont usually eat on floor, but sometimes yeh...

Jazakallah khair for the articles sis sunshinez..

We eat on the table... I would eat on the floor..but the table takes up space. And my parents want to eat on the floor but their legs hurt badly.. :sad: We used to eat on the floor.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Interesting poll. I enjoy eating on the floor and table as well. It also depends on the setting. It wont be confortable eating on the floor if the space wasn't meant for that. But like the space Sunshinez creates specially for eating, that will be great i imagine. It is also the same eating on a table not meant for eating, terrible infact.

Nevertheless i'm in a boarding school and its not suitable for me to sit on the floor with no carpets or anything like that. I imagine blocking the way, sitting on the floor with my legs folded1

D-Ziner, good point about how when visitors come along, everyone eats on the dining table. It's not only eating, there are so many other things that people do for the sake of visitors, even though it might not be haram, sunnah ways are usually scrapped away for their sake.

Ma'assalam

So...its better to sit on floor as this is sunnah,. right? Any1 know how much reward u get for following this sunnah?

Also, just wanna add: u should drink whilst sitting in 3 sips/gupls...

Edited by Danish

asalamu alaikum

I bet you, there is also a health benefit in eating whilst sitting on the floor. No sunnah of the prophet is just for reward, everything he has done in his life has health benefits. Just like sleeping, urinating, excreting etc etc.

Then again, I am no doctor, I wouldnt know for sure.

If we dont follow the Sunnah now and we know we should, think 10 years down the line, what Sunnah of the prophet will be left? Isnt there a hadith were it is mentioned that people will just say 'La ilaha, illalah' just because there forefathers said it? Well yes, this is the begining of it, and we are all contributing! So sad!

Alright, D-Ziner i sit on the floor when eating... :D

But they didnt have tables at the time of of Prophet (SWT), so maybe thats why Prophet (SWT) and the companions ate when sitting on the floor...?

All the same, we should practise this habit

asalamu alaikum

Yes, they didnt. They didnt have a lot of things but we use them now.

aslaam alykum,

i eat wherever, at least we have that choice, just think of the people in poorer countries...... where can they eat...

wa alykum aslaam

Guest amani
asalamu alaikum

Sister, she may mean that if she is in the 'Pious' mood or the 'Western/Forget about Sunnah' mood.

Not sure!

no it doesnt mean that

it means who i eat with and when i eat

sometimes ill eat while on the computer with my feet up on something, that like easting on table

sometime i eat on dining table -thats just what we mostly used to do

and other times on the floor - not to do with `whether i feel pious` or not :D

there was never no `western` issue in this