Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Dude

Free Rice

Something I found on another forum.

Web game provides rice for hungry

An internet word game has generated enough rice to feed 50,000 people for one day, the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) has said. The game, FreeRice, tests the vocabulary of participants. For each click on a correct answer, the website donates money to buy 10 grains of rice. Companies advertising on the website provide the money to the WFP to buy and distribute the rice. FreeRice went online in early October and has now raised 1bn grains of rice. That is enough rice to feed 50,000 people for one day, the WFP said on Friday.

'Viral marketing'

The head of the WFP, Josette Sheeran, said: "FreeRice really hits home how the web can be harnessed to raise awareness and funds for he world's number one emergency." She said word of the game has spread with the help of internet bloggers and websites like Facebook and YouTube. "The site is a viral marketing success story." FreeRice is the invention of US online fundraising pioneer John Breen.

Something for us all to try, inshaAllah..

[iframe]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetfreerice(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php[i'm not allowed to use this tag yet]

PropellerAds

What a fantastic idea. I hope it's real, 400 grains from me today :sl: And I've bookmarked it so I'll go back to it every day. Some of those words are pretty challenging too.

Another 650....this is addictive.

I've brought the page for us here, to make it easier for all members to donate more rice.

I'm not very tech-savvy so forgive me for asking, but will it still work embedded?

ayou are not allowed to post links yet. Masha-Allah what an excellant idea...

300 for me today...