Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
abukhaleel

Walks

Walks:[using large font size is not allowed]

There is a hadeeth about walking, stating that,(not accurately translated), “help your old age by walking in your youthâ€â€¦.i take it to mean , ‘help your tomorrow by walking today’……[using large font size is not allowed]

When I gave up smoking, may 4th 2005…I started using the time I used to enjoy ‘filling my lungs with smoke+drinking tea’ for walks….[using large font size is not allowed]

Before that I would walk to the nearest Masjid for fajar or ishaa prayers, and that being 1.8 kilometers away, I would feel like herculese for having walked 3.6 Km , to and from the Masjid…[using large font size is not allowed]

But when I started walking without ‘smokes’ in my daily routine, I gradually increased the distance that I could walk…[using large font size is not allowed]

It went from 4 to 14 Km over a span of around one year….[using large font size is not allowed]

I had read in a book called , “shamaail-e-trimzi†narrated by Ali razi allahu anhu, that rasoolullah always walked with his chest slightly bent forward, and he walked with a little bend at the knees,and walked fast….[using large font size is not allowed]

So trying to copy that ‘stance’ I realized:[using large font size is not allowed]

1-- since bending the chest a little forward, throws one’s body’s centre of gravity, in front of the person….and when that happens, the rest of the body , sort of , follows it’s weight into the next step….walking becomes easier,takes less effort and becomes more rapid…since the feet do not have the need/time to touch the entire sole/(heel) to the ground and by the time one withdraws the forward foot and extends the other foot forward, the centre of gravity ,which is in front of the body(due to the chest bent forward slightly) causes the extending foot to touch it’s toes to the ground and the body weight propels the person forward, necessitating the other foot to hurry forward and push the ground backwards with the toes/the frontal half of the foot…[using large font size is not allowed]

2--Keeping the chest bent slightly forward also helps keep one’s eyes low and avoid the surrounding distractions….[using large font size is not allowed]

3--Also walking with the knees bent slightly, does not tire the thigh muscles, and extending the legs all-the-way in one’s strides is not tiring…[using large font size is not allowed]

4—and walking at that speed and in that stance, forces one to move the arms in unison with the leg movements , to help propel the upper body further/faster and to maintain body -balance[using large font size is not allowed]

5—and the agility(speed?) of the walk in that stance,would exercise my entire body.[using large font size is not allowed]

When I first started walking like that, I realized that my muscles of the chest,the upper back and the shoulders had that tell-tale ‘acid-deposition’ from the exercise which is an indicator to those muscles having exerted and is sensed as a slight discomfort/aching of the muscles…so my entire body was getting ‘re-lubed/rejuvinated’…and during nimaaz/salaat/obligatory prayers, when I would bend for the rako’u I would sense how the muscles connecting my vertebrae(back bone’s components) would send signals of the same ‘acid-deposit being removed with the stretching of rako’o’….[using large font size is not allowed]

6--Ofcourse when I walked, this stance reminded me to say rosary/tasbeeh and gradually I made a routine of the number of times I was to recite whatever I chose[using large font size is not allowed]

7—I would have the additional privilege of feeling, that I was ‘re-living a sunnah’ as I walked…[using large font size is not allowed]

I started taking my patients too…but only one of them understood the advantages to the extent that he got sold to the idea of these walks and it was with him that we would walk 12 Km each day…..when he had come in, he was obese to the degree of absurdity…when he left 4 months later, his younger brother who was in final year medical school then ,wished he could come and stay with us for a month to shape his body ,like his brother’s…

[using large font size is not allowed]

Walking…can help one walk away from any problems…not in the sense of running away, but in the sense that as one gives oneself this time each day, one’s mind brings out the best analysis of the situations one is surrounded with(during that/those days)…and since tha analysis is done while the entire brain and body machine is working…it is rarely wrong and always confident and the resolutions one makes are never intimidating.

[using large font size is not allowed]Also the tiring effect of the walk,and the shower after it BOTH cause a realese of ‘endorphins’ in the brain…endorphins are naturally synthesized chemicals in our brains that act on the ‘mood-centre/reward and motivation centre’ and cause a feeling of well-being/elation….endorphins are similar in chemical structure to the morphine/heroine(opium derivatives).

[using large font size is not allowed]I could go on about what a regular walk in the sunnah stance rewards one with..[using large font size is not allowed]

The appetite is sharpened, the tendency to eat healthful foods is enhanced, the love for milk and milk products,vegetables,fruits is increased…and one develops an aversion to un-natural edibles(junk-food)

[using large font size is not allowed]Sleeping pattern improves…and MOST OF ALL..the agility, the sense of feeling light on one’s feet the next day is what proves to be the Most Attractive advantage.

[using large font size is not allowed]I have walked for nearly 2 years and 4 months now, am 47 going on 48,,I am a ‘potential diabetic’ meaning that since my mom (yarhamhallah) was a diabetic, I could easily develop it, I have six siblings(brothers and sisters)..all of them are hypertensive and overweight…my resting pulse rate is 72/minute and my blood pressure is within normal limits….and all this is due to these walks because when I was smoking , my resting pulse rate was between 89 and 96 and my blood pressure was always beyond norms…[using large font size is not allowed]

So I earnestly advise all readers to start walking , REGULARLY…helping their tomorrow by walking today…salaam [using large font size is not allowed]

PropellerAds

:sl:

SubhanAllah, and even better, walk to the masjid!

Excellent post! Walking is great :sl: Jazakaa'Allah khayr akhi

SubhanAllah, and even better, walk to the masjid!

salaam...yes walking to the masjid/mosque is paying in the spiritual way, but i tried using my walks for visiting the masjid during the walks and i felt embarrassed of Allah subhanohu v ta'laa as well as his slaves in the Masjid, because my clothes were soaked in sweat...i felt i was not honoring the sanctity of the Masjid by being there in that state....besides, above 40 years of age, medical facts(that i consider of very little significance in the next arriving moment because Allah manages the arriving moment and not the medical forecasts) state that one ought to walk 3 kilometers in 28 minutes and 30 seconds, that brings it to 9& 1/2 minutes per kilometer...when one walks at that speed, ....and before one gets to that speed one needs to warm up to that pace....so sweating is natural through this process,and ONE MUST COOL DOWN TOO(by walking slowly at the end of the stretch) to avoid damaging body tissue by not cooling down after the brisk walk.....also the walks are a means for giving one self...only oneslf, this time that one walks through....so i would advise against ' using the masjid visit as a physical exercise, i would myslef use the masjid visit as a spiritual exercise only'...

salaam