Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ilmseeker

College Admission Essay.

:D

Well, I am a student at a community college and I am planning on transferring to a 4-year University inshallah in the fall of 2005. One thing I have to do is write an essay.

You can write the essay about:

ambitions / goals / special talent / unusual interests / significant event.

My answers to these questions are all Islam or being a good Muslim.

What I would appreciate from you all is just some feedback or comments, anything on my essay. If you think I need to improve it somehow or if it's good, please anything will help. :D

Here it is:

Many people wonder about the purpose of life. A couple months ago I figured out the answer. One night as I was lying awake in bed, a thought crossed my mind. That thought changed my life. I thought about the day of my death and what was beyond this world. I had read, seen and heard about people competing in this world to gain wealth, status and power, but they would all leave this world empty handed. I became scared, I realized that I was not a permanent resident of this world. I knew one thing, religion was the answer but which one? I was convinced that there was a creator of everything and that I had to follow a certain religion to be truly successful after I died. So I began my search for the truth, I borrowed many books from the library and read all about the many different religions. The one religion that made sense to me was Islam. I found out that Islam is the primordial faith of mankind. Also I learned Islam is not only a religion but a way of life.

Islam appealed to me for many reasons. One of the main reasons that I thought Islam to be the truth was because of the historical and scientific facts that were written in the Qur'an, which is the sacred book for Muslims. Historically, the Qur'an mentioned stories of previous Prophets, the people of 'Ad and Thamud, the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Pharaoh of the Exodus having drowned and many others. Scientifically, the Qur'an mentioned about the universe, biology, embryology, astronomy, geology, etc. Keeping in mind the Qur'an was revealed 1400 years ago, these facts really amazed me. Some of these historical accounts and scientific facts have just been discovered in the first half of 20th century. There is no way any person could have known about these facts 1400 years ago, it's impossible. I was convinced the Qur'an is the Word of God.

Like many people I used to aspire for a big house, a nice car, lots of money and other materialistic pursuits. To live my life according to Islam and die as a true and sincere believer in Islam, this is my life goal now. Believing in Islam means to believe in one God, Allah, and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His messenger. Muslims should always try to follow what is written in the Qur'an and also live as best they can like Muhammad (peace be upon him). Islam has had a really big impact on my life, I always try to look at life from an Islamic perspective.

One very important aspect of Islam is knowledge. It's through knowledge that one can realize the wonders of this world. An important fact to note is that the first word revealed in the Qur'an was "Read". Also one of the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is, Seeking knowledge is an important obligation upon every Muslim. Discovering new ideas and reading is something I enjoy. I plan to finish my major in Systems Engineering and also do a minor in Islamic Studies at George Mason University. My biggest ambition, goal and interest in this life is to learn and practice Islam to the best of my ability. Gaining an education will greatly help me in practicing Islam.

Edited by Ilmseeker

PropellerAds

:D sister sunshinez for your response, I appreciate it very much.

I didn't know where else to post it.

Thank You.

:D again.

Assalamu Alaikum Warahamtullahi Wabrakatahu,

Masha'Allah Brother Ilmseeker, its great, i think you pretty much covered everything

You know you could psot this in general chat, it fits fine there

Very nicely written brother.

:D You will be accepted

Mash'Allah, not only is it well written, but it is an excellent dawa'ah. It's really short, but good (heck I'm long winded at times so don't take my word about it being short :D)

Wow, mashaAllah that was really well written brother. :D

Just one thing though... the university you're applying for.. Do you think they would react well to such a pro-Islamic application. :D I've heard of univerisities rejecting cuz of that..

Anyhoo, can't give you any other comments, as I've never had to write an admission essay myself.. :D

Well, inshaAllah person reviewing your essay will be intelligent enough to recognize a winner of a student. :D

:D desertdweller, JannahJ and mm_ca04 for your very kind words. They made me feel really good. Thank you so much.

Just one thing though... the university you're applying for.. Do you think they would react well to such a pro-Islamic application.  I've heard of univerisities rejecting cuz of that..

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I don't know, but I mentioned my background, religion and about trying to make a muslim club in my personal statement. I was accepted to one really good university, but later my admission was withdrawn due to lack of six quarter units to be able to qualify as a transfering junior (i.e. third year student) for that academic year. All the paper work was done to transfer, I only had to enroll in my classes. (Alhumdulilah ala kulli haal wallahu Khairul makireen. )Besides,they would know any way because I had to take an ID picture and mail that for my student ID. As you can see, it had nothing to do with my being muslim, etc.