Islamic Forum
JannahJ

One Year So Far :)

:D

Well I finally decided to get off my lazy bum and re-write my reversion story (the old one was lost after the forums went down a few months ago). :D

I was always really religious when I was a kid. My family (at the time) was all Catholic, although we didn't really go to mass or do Catholic-specific rituals that much. Ma and dad didn't really teach us that much about Catholicism, here's all the stuff I didn't know when I was a kid

1) that Jesus was God (seriously I never learned about this until maybe a few years ago :D)

2) what the point of mass was (still haven't figured that one out)

3) what those little candle things are

4) why the nice men and women were always asking for money

5) that not all christians were catholic (I thought christian was just another name for it)

6) what the heck a protestant was (learned that one a few years ago too)

7) the new testament/Gospel. None of it... I only knew the stories from the Old Testament (Adam+Eve, Nuh, Ibrahim, Isaac, israel, Yusuf, and Musa, all Alahi sallam (I didn't read any of the stories after that :D)

So naturally, not knowing anything about Catholicism, I was fine with it. I just worshipped God, had dreams about Him all the time and dreams of being in Heaven, playing with merry-go-rounds and flowers and other fun stuff like that :D Ma and Dad got me a HUGE box of christian story books for kids, of course, only one of them was about Isa (alaihi sallam) and it was just about his birth. I was really happy with my books, and I just couldn't understand why my sister (who was a few years older than me, and I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time) always made fun of me for liking these storybooks so much.

I begged my mom and dad to take me to church more, I liked the standing up and sitting down and reading big important-looking books and listening to old people belt out the words in them. I never really listened to the priest speak, although I do remember he yelled a lot about Jews and Gentiles (I didnt figure out what gentiles were either, until a few years ago). I really wanted to go to the church! But I had no idea why mom and dad were reluctant to take me.

So they sent me to Sunday School. Most of my friends from elementary school were there so I enjoyed it. We didn't really learn that much stuff, we just did really really easy reading exercises in workbooks and then made cardbord diamond crosses with pinto beans pasted onto them. So I liked it :D It was around this time that my sister stopped wanting to go to Church and sunday school, and she started telling me how stupid it was. Naturally, I was the opposite just to compete with her.

I grew up young.. by the time I was 9 I had already reached my full height and had my mental and physical puberty. Suddenly Catholicism made no sense to me anymore. I started remembering the questions my sister asked me when she rejected Catholicism: Why do we have to confess all of our sins to a priest if God loves us all equally? If God accepts all prayers for forgiveness, yet sinners are unforgiven and their prayers are never answered, how the HECK do you pray for forgiveness?! If there is only One God, yet that God is three in one, yet they are all ONE, if Jesus dies, doesn't that mean all of God dies? I mean, God is one, right?! And many other questions of that sort.

Frustrated with these questions, and no knowledge of any other religious faith (I hardly even knew my own), I turned to paganism. I made up my own idols and made up ways to pray to them, and to me it was fun. I made them, I could destroy them, yet they can give me whatever they wanted. But I wanted more. I discovered more about the Egyptians, and, rebelling against Catholicism, I wanted to believe that it was the Egyptians that were good and Moses that was bad (astaghfirullah). So I turned to the Egyptian idols. I met other people that were the same as me, and so I was lead to believe that my foolish ways of thinking were correct.

One night, to convince me of my faith once again, I asked the idols to give me a dream, of one of them, at such and such hour of the night, on such and such day. But I got a totally different surprise instead.

I was in a desert. YES! Is it Egypt? No.. it seems like a camp, not a city. Who is this man holding my hand? He's smiling. Maybe it's Amun? No...

"He is in here." He took my hand and we walked into a large tent in the top of the camp. There was another man sitting down. I looked at him and I could feel, even in my dreams, my heart racing. I couldn't see his face at all, it was all light. But I could see his hair was dark, but with something red in it. And then the man spoke to me.

"You have been ungrateful for the favors given to you. Do you know what I have done?" Swords clashing, battles, horses panting and neighing and frantically galloping away without their riders. Someone falls and dies. It's almost as if it is on a tv screen to the side of the man. And then I look back. "You know in your heart what is right."

I woke up. Frantically trying to twist my experiences, trying to recall them all, in a way that I could apply to my idols. But I could not.

I discovered the joys of the internet. :D I could enter messageboards and harass people and spam a/s/l a bazillion times and only get banned for half on hour on aol chatrooms. I had fun. I also liked going on the delphi forums for religions. I was asking about other religions, when someone posted, "Have you considered Islam?" I was 13 then. That same year I had gone to a convention in Chicago to mean some of the other egyptian idol worshippers. I did a quick search of Islam on about.com, and quickly scoffed at the idea of being a muslim the instant I saw a tab called "female circumcision". How barbaric, it seemed. I quickly told that guy on the message board off for even considering that I join such a religion. I was *civilized*.

But two years later, something had happened. I was sitting at school outside during lunch. A group of Somalis usually sat there and argued about whether X-box or PS2 was better, and they were really nice to me, commenting to each other about how they should read books like I did instead of shouting "XBOX NI***" at each other. That day I had been sitting there and that same nice guy was talking about how he was soooo hungry because he had forgotten to wake up early that morning. Someone (nonmuslim) asked why? And he mentioned it was Ramadan and so he had to fast. I looked down at my pepperoni pizza and started getting those deep thoughts.

I had read the first part of surat al-baqara two years before, but as soon as I saw "Judgement day" I had laughed and closed the browser window it was on. But now I had a new urge to read it, an unhuman urge. As soon as I came home I read the entirety of Surat al-Baqara and Aal-Imran. I didn't need convincing, I was already convinced. I had finally found my beliefs, laid out on a tablet, completely verbatim. Jesus is a prophet, not part of God. God forgives all those who seek His forgiveness. Eve was not at fault, both she and Adam were, and they were forgiven. We are not a cursed race. Religion is life, not a subset of it, to be tucked away and forgotten. And without knowing a single detail about Muhammad, I accepted him (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam) as the Servant and Messenger of Allah, the one true God on whom all, the sun, the moon, and the stars, and the people, and animals, owe obdediance to. The sun will someday burn up and become a white dwarf, but Allah's light will never go out.

So I said "Ash-hadu an la ilaha illa Allah, wa ash hadu anna Muhammadar Rasulullah." And that was that.

PropellerAds

jazakallah for taking the time for posting that i really enjoyed reading that it was amazing :D

p.s I always thought you were somalian

wa alaikumussalamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

jazakAllahu khairan kathira sis, nice reading, :D , I'm happy that I asked you to give link of story, so, now, what is your situation and condition with your family and your friends? Shortly, how is it going :D ?

ma'assalam

:D,

jazakallah for taking the time for posting that i really enjoyed reading that it was amazing thumbsup.gif

p.s I always thought you were somalian

:D everyone thinks that for some reason. Although it prolly has something to do with most of my muslim friends being somali :D Lots of somali here in Seattle. Wallahi I love the food too :D

jazakAllahu khairan kathira sis, nice reading, smile.gif , I'm happy that I asked you to give link of story, so, now, what is your situation and condition with your family and your friends? Shortly, how is it going smile.gif ?

Alhamdulillah, things are going well at the moment. Originally my mom and sister balked at my decision to become Muslim. My sister (who is athiest now) has since accepted it and is pretty interested in Islam (although she doesn't want to follow it unfortunately), while my mom simply allows it and doesn't really want to learn anything about it.

I've made a lot of friends, although it's hard to see them all because I live halfway across the city and they're always out in Ranier or somewhere else going shopping on weekends :D lol I didn't have many non-muslim friends last year anyway (I reverted in *OCTOBER* and that was my first year at this particular high school, and I'm slow to make friends anyway) so the only people who were shocked were my classmates, the day I came in wearing hijab. They asked me if I was bald and I said no, and that was that. Of course this year those same classmates and former teachers stay away from me, prolly because I'm niqaabi. :D

Edited by JannahJ

wa alaikumussalam,

may Allah reward you with lots of khayr, muslim in December, now wearing Niqab, may Allah give istiqaamah (being and staying on siraat al mustaqeem) , salamah (being in peace) and hadayah (guidance),

If I was sister too, maybe I would use this :D , sisters here are using this (:D) a lot :D

anyway, I hope you don't beat me after saying these :D :D

Again, welcome to Islam :D :D

ma'assalam,

Wow, I always wanted to read your story. That was really interesting and beautifully written. Thanks for sharing it with us sis. :D

If you don't mind my asking...how old were you when you reverted? :D

May Allah SWT keep you steadfast on the right path, and may He guide us all.

Again, welcome to Islam
:D i found that funny for some reason.

:D interesting to read sister JazzakAllah for that...i learnt something new today then, that you converted to Islam subahnAllah another reason to smile now barakAllah Feeki

Forgot about that :D I was 15 when I reverted, and it was at the very end of October.

edit woops I noticed in my reply I wrote december. That was when I started wearing hijab, so to everyone at school it was as if I became muslim in december. that was when I announced it. :D

Edited by JannahJ

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Mashaa'Allah, a nice read.

May Allah (swt) increase you in piety.

Wassalaam.

Asalaamo aleykum JannahJ, :D :D

Subhanallah, I loved reading your story so much , you wrote it so beautiful and it was so very interesting, Jazaka Allahu geiran for sharing it with us !!!! :D

waleykum assalaam, :D

Aslaamwalaikum,

wow..MASHALLAH sister, thats really nice....

subhanALLAH, ALHAMDULILAH, ALLAHU AKBAR..

it was great reading that.....

May Allah swt accept our good deeds, forgive our sins and grant us Firdus.AMEEN.

:D :D

asalamualaykum,

awe very well written sister. jazakallah for sharing :D

salaam sister...

such a beautiful story...... :D

i guess all conversion stories are so great...

it always makes me so sentimental when i read them....

it reminds me on my story and on everything that i really love in my life- and it is Islam!

take care....

Assalamu alaykum.

What a nice story!! Allahu Akbar!!

Thanks for sharing.

Assalamu alaykum.

Guest amani

a bit late but lovely story sister :D

may Allah SWT continue to streghten us in the deen :D

Assalaamu 'alaikum Sis JannahJ,

Subhan Allah..I love reading revert stories..everyone one of them is so touching..I wish I was surrounded with such muslims in all aspects of my life.

May Allah(swt) keep us all strong in Islam...oh nearly forgot I would give you a big hug too sis if I was a female..so I give you a big Assalamu alaikum and welcome to the BEST and ONLY true way of life..Islam..Allahu-Akbar.

Assalamu alaykum.

Assalamu alaikum

JazaakAllah sis for your story, it somewhat reminds me of my own story *tear*

MaSalama

sr. verity

Guest UnderCover_Brother

Assalamu'Alikum,

Ukthi you must be 16/17 now...and you wear NIQAB????? Masha'Allah...hows your parents about it?

Blessed are we to have sisters like you!!

Wa'Salam.

Wow JannahJ! That was an awesome story...i'm speechless! Subhanallah.....seriously i'm speechless! U had a full journey and then made a U-Turn to come to Islam. Wow. Didn't know ppl still worship Egyptian idols! (ancient Egyptian?)

And niqabi too...mashallah. Seriously Allah guides those whom he wants to so easily. :D

Edited by ziggy99

Your story put a smile to my face, sister :sl:

Alhamdullilah sister :sl:

I am 15 right now and at this time you reverted to Islam. It's so brave of you :sl:

I'm born Muslim btw, but anywayyyyyyyyy it's good to know Allah showed you it's light. The right path :no:

asslamo alaykom

how are you sister jannah

wish from Allah to make you enter jannah after the day of judgement

i like your convertion story soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you deserve from Allah to guide to Islam as it happened

we are proud to increase our sister another good sister

nice to meet you here

asslamo alaykom