Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seven

Hugging

asalamu alaikum

Is hugging allowed in Islam? Between same sexes?

A lot of sisters seem to hug each other, I was thinking this does not fit in well with modesty?

I dont know, I just wanted to ask. Attention seeking in other words.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

PropellerAds

:D

There is one hadith in Sunan Abu Dawood where a man came and hugged the Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam) out of love for him.

Book 9, Number 1665:

Narrated Buhaysah al-Fazariyyah:

My father sought permission from the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him). (When permission was granted and he came near him) he lifted his shirt, and began to kiss him and embrace him (out of love for him). He asked: Apostle of Allah, what is the thing which it is unlawful to refuse? He replied: Water. He again asked: Prophet of Allah, what is the thing which it is unlawful to refuse? He replied: Salt. He again asked: Prophet of Allah, what is the thing which it is unlawful to refuse? He said: To do good is better for you.

as long as its with the same sex, I cant see the problem?

asalamu alaikum

I was asking in regards to sisters hugging in public.

asalamu alaikum!

Thanks for this interesting question. What about hugging a non-muslim of the same sex, for instance when you win in sports?

Asalamu'Alycom

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful

As regards to two Muslim Sisters hugging out in the public, it is permissible under the following rules:

***That such actions are modest and done calmly***

***No loud talking or shouting amongst each other during hugging or even during normal speech***

***No other action exaggerated in any way.***

Two Muslims of the same gender of course is encouraged to show love to one another by saying "Asalamu'Alycom" to each other, embracing each other, shaking the hand, smiling etc.

Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) said:

"None of you is a believer until you show love to your fellow Brother of Islam."

asalamu alaikum

I was asking in regards to sisters hugging in public.

k..sorry, i was not aware of that as the question was

Is hugging allowed in Islam? Between same sexes?

JazakumAllahu Kairan Mu'maneen

Would kissing a fellow sister on the cheek in public allowed? I read this article once where the author said sisters kissing eachother on the cheek in public is not allowed...is it true? Jazakz

Bro Mu'ameneen.

Concerning the hadith, you quoted at last.

Doesnt it goes like the following?!

"Until you wish for your brothers,what you might wish for yourself, your imaan is incomplete."

or these two are different hadith?!

i know it is out of topic. But i can't give private message yet.

Wassalam

Asalamu'Alycom

"Until you wish for your brothers,what you might wish for yourself, your imaan is incomplete."

They are two seperate Hadith. I believe they are from the same chain of narration.

the prophet use to hugg other ppl, and so did the companions, to say this is gay is a very ignorant statement

asalamu alaikum

Shaby, thank you for calling half the ummah gay. I myself hug my brothers.

Bro.Shaby,

If loving one's own brother falls in the definition of Gay, then your own brother has to be careful with you.

But the topic, as i recollect it is not about love between same sexes. Explicit manifestation of such love, that is actually the question raised.

So far, no one has quoted hadith against such manifestations between sisters, but it would not be proper for sisters to express their love for each other in public.

Wassalam

asalamu alaikum

Say, two sisters were with me, they hugged each other in public as one had to go another route.

Would that be allowed? Or is there a hadith saying it is wrong to do such thing. I know the morality and the idea of doing this kind of thing for sisters in public can be wrong. What I want to know is that is there any words that quote the prophet or Allah saying this should not be done, whether it leads to a sin or whether it was against the prophets will.

Am I clear on this? Everyone understands right?

Asalaamu Alaykum wr wb

Intresting question and intresting replies.

Well from my lack of knowledge i haven't come across a hadiths or opinion of a reliable shaykh concerning hugging your sister in Islam when greeting her.

When meeting another Muslim shaking hands is highly recommended, along with a great smile, because it increases the love and respect among Muslims.

It was reported by Imam Bukhari that Qatadah asked Anass (R.A.) if shaking hands was practiced by the companion at the time of the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.). He said, "Yes."

Shaking hands with another Muslim will result in forgiveness from Allah (S.W.T.).Imams Abu Dawood and At-Termithi reported that the prophet (S.A.W.) said, "If Muslims meet and shake hands with each other, they will be forgiven before they leave."

Imam At-Termithi reported a good hadith that a man said: "O messenger of Allah if one of us meets his brother or friend, should he bend down to him? The prophet said, " No." He asked should he hug him and kiss him? The prophet answered, "No." He asked should he take his hand and shake it. The prophet answered, "Yes."

Imam At-Termithi reported that Anass (R.A.) said, "When the prophet use to meet a man, he shook hands with him and the prophet (S.A.W.) would not pull away his hand until the man would pull his hand away first."

for more infor read

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islam1(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/khutub/Islamic_Greeting.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islam1(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/khutub/Islamic_Greeting.htm[/url]

The chest thing that brother do as well erm i don't know about it either :D

I went to this Islamic talk long time ago and the sister giving the talk told me its better to shake hands but if you haven't seen the person for a long time or you are meeting for the first time you can hug etc.

Allah knows best

Imam At-Termithi reported a good hadith that a man said: "O messenger of Allah if one of us meets his brother or friend, should he bend down to him? The prophet said, " No." He asked should he hug him and kiss him? The prophet answered, "No." He asked should he take his hand and shake it. The prophet answered, "Yes."

Alhamdulillah, i understand this hadith could settle the issue.

Preference is for Shaking hands rather than hugging, even for men.

Wassalam