Islamic Forum
Farouk1986

Where Is Best

Assalamu Alaykum

I have received some offers from UCAS to study in certain universities in the UK.

The offers are from the following universities;

Imperial college london

Kings college london

University college london

Birmingham

Nottingham (about to send the offer they said)

I plan to study some sought of Engineering with something like business management.

Please i would like some advice from you on which university to choose depending on the location, the Islamic environment, how good the uni's are (especially if you know someone in the universities or have heard about it)

By UCAS regulation i have to choose a firm offer which if my grades match to, i have no option but that university in the Uk, and an insurance offer to go to if i dont make me first offer. Or go through clearing and choose from wide range of universities that didn't give me offers if they have vacancies.

At the moment for UCAS i plan to choose Imperial college as me first offer, insurance offer i dont know. Please help me out. or should i scrap all offers and go through clearing?

Then i applied to US colleges in California;

University of California, Berkeley

California institute of technology

Stanford

Then in Canada i applied to Mcgill in Montreal.

Where should i go?

Ma'assalam

PropellerAds

salam alikum,

go impeiral they are the best in the country for engineering and maths,

i have a few freinds that go there,

kings isnt very good choice nor is birmingham,

notingham and ucl are very good uni but not better then imperial, impeerial has better teaching quality and a lot more funds!

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

I think you should go for Imperial. I went there bro, so if you have any general questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them, iA. The Islamic Society (ISoc) there have a website "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/islamic/main.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/islamic/main.html[/url] and email address Islam[at]imperial.ac.uk -- so you could probably contact the President there and ask if he knows anyone doing the course you're interested in (Mechanical Engineering?) for you to ask questions.

Imperial is in South Kensington, which is a nice place. Tourists go there for the Museums and the Royal Albert Hall, so they keep it nice and clean. It's a fairly posh area so it feels safe (or so I think). ISoc there is very good, mA. Plenty of events throughout the year. Good number of Muslims too. There's a prayer room very close to campus so you can catch all your prayers there in congregation, cos there are always bros coming and going. Because Imperial is a techy place, something like 64% of the students there are male, which is helpful to avoid fitnah. Academically, I think Imperial is second to Cambridge and because they work you hard, the degrees there are respected. If you're interested in business/management options, they built a brand new business department called the Tanaka Business School built last summer. (An alumni paid £11m for them to do it).

Wassalaam.

:D

The US ones beat the UK ones. Sadly.

Go to Berkley or Standford.

Also:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004/[/url]

World top 500:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/worldclass/0,14048,1083330,00.html"]are British Universities World class?[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/higher/worldwide/story/0,9959,1294983,00.html"]Cambridge Third in World Rankings[/url]

I don't mean to discourage you or anything. Berkeley and Standford are really hard to get into, so make sure you are also applying in other places. I know a sister who graduated from Berkeley. She and even nonmuslims said that it's veryy liberal, especially for people under 25. Most people even witha 4.0 GPA couldn't get in this fall. California has many good schools, alhumdulilah. :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ucla.edu"]UCLA[/url] :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.admissions.uci.edu/majors_minors.html"]UC Irvine[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_engr.ucr.edu/"]UC Riverside[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.universityofcalifornia.edu/academics/engcs.html"]UC schools[/url] UC Davis and UCSB (santa barbara) are also really well known.

:D I'll see if I can get other advice for you.

Edited by mm_ca04

Well I know they would be hard to get into, they arelike tp in the WORLD, but he did say where he shouldgo an dhe seems to be accepted by the top Unis inthe UK, so he may have a chance at the top US unis.

brother, i wish i could help, but the only one i really know about in that list of yours is mcgill. cheap-ish for a good quality education and there's LOTS of muslims in montreal. it's one of my options in transferring to in the next year.

i'm not too sure about their engineering program, but i could ask around for you if you want.

If you don't mind, could you post some of your stats (GPA, extracurricular activities, and test scores)? It would help in judging which schools you have a shot at, and which schools are more of a reach for you.

Again, like sis ummammaar said, Stanford and Berkeley are very hard to get into, Cal Tech is also up there, in terms of difficulty in getting in.

Not to put your hopes down but since you're international, it'll be even harder for you.

These are all very good schools, but they're very hard to get into, I suggest you apply to some safety schools, as well. Someplace where you're more likely to get accepted.

As always, good luck.

Imrial is Tops for tech n sciences/engieeing, Kings not so good for engineering. But Kings has a fabulous reputaiton, and allot more personality as uni then imperial. If you wont a pure acaedmic life, then goto Imperial.

I was at kings college london. Although i did my degree in maths. i can advise you about kcl.

Business management is good there, with good employabiolity, as long as you get a 2.1 or a 1.1 . I dont know if they offer Engieerning with managemnt degrees though. I thought it was only maths and management or computer science with/and management. youll have to check thi sout.

Management degrees are pegenerally too easy, and not challening enough though. I think a physical sciecnes degree offers more of a brain busting time :D/

As for the Isoc. I loved it when i was there, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Since ive left the news i hear is bad, the Isoc at KCL is in disarray and there is a lack of unity, and too much hard hearted literality entering over zealous youths. Certain groups are hyjacking the ISocs on all campases. It was a slow process, but i saw it happening when i was there. ALso i noticed the quadiannies cult trying to set up their own little group about a year ago. ( i stay in contact with the uni and its happenings in one way or another :D ). This can all be turned round with a strong minded idnvidual with leadership skills and drive, inshAllah.

I dont know about the isoc at Imperial....

I plan to study some sought of Engineering with something like business management..

Bredrein, have you heard of University of Waterloo ??

This is a world class university for Engineering.. check out the world ratings.. this is the place you want to be for Engineering!

McGill is okay not great but they are good!

You can also try Ryerson University!

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.petersons(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.petersons(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ca.dir.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/education/higher_education/colleges_and_universities/by_region/countries/canada/complete_list/?sort=lf"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ca.dir.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/education/higher_e...e_list/?sort=lf[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20041104_160541_5484"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.macleans.ca/universities/articl...104_160541_5484[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.uwaterloo.ca/macleans/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.uwaterloo.ca/macleans/[/url]

In Ontario the other good choices for undergrad Engineering include in no order, U of Toronto, Ryerson U, McMaster U, U of Windsor, U of Ontario, York U..

Assalamu alikum bro,

As people have already advised u......if ur looking at london, or the UK for that matter, i'd also advise u to go Imperial College. Best teaching quality and facilities in the area ur looking to study as for the Isoc.....don't know...as i dont go there!

U should have applied to liverpool, then u could have gone on the anfield tour......!!!!

****Post deleted.****

Edited by asmauk

Assalamu Alaykum

thank you so much brothers and sisters for the help! :D .it has been really helpful.

So now insha Allah, i will choose imperial college for my firm offer in the UK. I don't know about my insurance offer though...King's college, i don't want to be going there now. I hope the troubles there isn't going to have a domino effect all over UK or london in the ISOC's. Is this also going on in the ISOC in imperial?

Brother Abdulmajid thanks for your contribution. can you please elaborate on if i want a pure academic life, go to imperial. is it that imperial is whack in all other areas? Management courses too easy... it will be great though to have a dual degree in engineering and business or management kind of stuff as far as i've been hearing. I prefer engineering like mechanical, electrical at the moment rather than life sciences.

Brother Borbus, thanks for your contribution. U've been to imperial? cool. i heard rumour that engineering students are overworked. So how much freetime and work would one have? Could one participate very actively as an ISOC member, a sporting activity and doing engineering?

Brother Ahm thanks for the links, great ones. I've seen so many different rankings and imperial is consistently ranked high.

That's the UK. Now let me move to.. the US.

Brother ummammaar, thanks for the contribution. Why did you say unless i'm a geek, not Caltech? is it boaring, only good academically... As for the application to UCLA, and the other University of california campuses, i've already applied to Berkeley and i think applicants not accepted are automatically submitted to other places like the LA one, Santa...So ididn't want to apply to so many, even though the more, the better chances. 'UC berkeley is very liberal'? what does that mean? too whack? I'm not bothered to apply to other places really. if i dont get a good college in the US, i might as well just go elsewhere like Canada or the UK.

Brother Xeo, thanks for your help. Actually, in the prospectus, like the stanford prospectus, it says international students that apply for scholarship, are the ones more likely not to get places, obviously because they prefer to give scholarships to US students. Alhamdulillah i don't need the scholarship and my grades are ok. I enroll in a british sysyem, so my grades are points in the IB, and GCSE grades. I got A's and A*s alhamdulillah.

I tried the SAT. It was a disaster!!! i didn't practice well and i got 1200. Although i checked the prospectuses, and my SAT grades are in bound with the accepted grade boundary in Caltech, Stanford and Berkeley, so i didn't bother doing more SAT tests.

Lastly to Canada

Canada i've been hearing is safe, good quality and value for price unis. But i heard its freezing cold. Canada is a bit like a consolation for me if i don't go to the US or UK. I wanted to apply to Uninversity of Toronto, as its the top university and there's Islamic institute of Toronto. But i just prefer Mcgill for some reason. Plus the Toronto universities like Waterloo, queens, macaster... required me to apply to OUAC, then individually to the unis. A lot hassle and i also didn't want to spend over a 1000 dollars in applications all over.

Again thanks for all your contributions. I'm getting a clearer picture of where i want to go! Hope to hear from you guys again.

My MSN add is umarm21[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link) . We can talk more in detail if any one of you is online.

Ma'assalam :D

:D bro,

Check this out...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.usnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/usnews/rankguide/rghome.htm"]US NEWS[/url]

They have rankings of colleges & univs in US. a very good guide for someone who's looking around.

Brother Xeo, thanks for your help. Actually, in the prospectus, like the stanford prospectus, it says international students that apply for scholarship, are the ones more likely not to get places, obviously because they prefer to give scholarships to US students. Alhamdulillah i don't need the scholarship and my grades are ok. I enroll in a british sysyem, so my grades are points in the IB, and GCSE grades. I got A's and A*s alhamdulillah.

I tried the SAT. It was a disaster!!! i didn't practice well and i got 1200. Although i checked the prospectuses, and my SAT grades are in bound with the accepted grade boundary in Caltech, Stanford and Berkeley, so i didn't bother doing more SAT tests.

Your grades look good, but your SAT scores are slightly lower than the average at Stanford, but like you said it's still within range.

Have you considered applying to "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.cornell.edu"]Cornell[/url]? They have one of the best engineering programs in the nation and it's a part of the Ivy League. Are you looking schools specifically in California or are you open to suggestions?

'UC berkeley is very liberal'? what does that mean? too whack? I'm not bothered to apply to other places really. if i dont get a good college in the US, i might as well just go elsewhere like Canada or the UK.

I'm a sister. I don't know if it's boring. I live close to it though. Mostly really really intelligent people go there. I am not sure if applying as an international student is any different. When I applied to the UC schools, I had to apply and pay to each campus. (I'm a resident.) UCBerkeley is liberal as in the environment, politically, etc. according to what I've heard. I'll try to explain further via pm :D

All the best. :D this stuff is still relative to the topic:

Some things you should keep in mind is that education here is expensive, so let's say you get into two schools, you need to wisely weight out other factors too to avoid getting into heavy debt:

-the fees (they have been increasing for us the past year or two.for international students they has gone up even more;they vary on each campus roughly. Ivy Leagues are the most expensive here in CA, then the UC schools, especially Berkeley.) To the best of my knowledge, I haven't come across any scholarship applications for international students here. Usually one of the requirements is to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

-books are really expensive and often change to the latest edition every semester.

-(optional, but some people like to consider this as well): environment

-student visa: International student counsellors don't always know too much about this. You have to try to keep up with when it is going to expire and such mostly yourself.

Brother ummammaar
its a SHE!!!

But i heard its freezing cold
Yes its Canada what did you expect bro :D ?? warm breezy winds and summer looau??

Uninversity of Toronto, as its the top university
Brother, Top University as you say for what program and where are you reading this information?? I already told you University of Waterloo is World Class i.e. Top than Top for Engineering!

but i just prefer Mcgill for some reason
I don know bro.. everyone comes to McGill its okay as i've said not best!

I was an International Student, i did get admission in one fo my choices but i had to dumb my first choices, one due to extremly high cost.. other personal.

well, the pt. is that i got no scholarships or grant as I was on a F1 visa then. Graduate studenst get assistanceships . so if u r planning to come here... arrange for $100,000. it will b gone before u know it. :D

McGill is good fo Business, especially economics.. the best out there.

not sure how thier engineering dept is.

asslamuaalikum

masha'Allah some brilliant advice given already by everyone, but coz you cant change your University choices theres no point in us dwelling and saying you should have chosen, UMIST, Liverpool or so forth, so insha'Allah will try and help you to make the right choice for what you have.

And Imperial will be good as well for you brother for enginnering especially :D

All the best, insha'Allah you will do well

Walaikumsalam

Assalamu Alaykum

POA, have you been reading what's going through me mind? Exactly as you said it, unfortunately i just have to dwell with the universities i've already applied to. Application deadlines have passed for most unis, especially the good ones like Cornell and other Ivy leagues. And as you said it POA, i think if i has spoken to you and Asmauk earlier, i would have applied to UMIST and Liverpool. But that's qadrullah, i have to accept it. no worries :D .

Its hard to come up with a final decision as what i hear sometimes is very contradictory. Like b4 i came to IF, i heard the worst about the University of liverpool. someone said 'not nottingham ' while someone said 'nottingham is good' . But no worries, your opinions have been very helpful.

At the moment this is me plan;

Any US college that accepts me, i'll go there insha Allah in the order, Stanford, Caltech then Berkeley or any other UC college.

If US doesn't work out, which seems like it won't for many reasons, including reasons i haven't yet mentioned in this thread, then the UK. Imperial firm offer, UCL insurance.

Mansoor $100,000, tell me that includes school fees in a year

Sister Ummammaar, sorry for calling you brother. Its because me name is Umar Farouk and when i saw your name i thought we were name sakes.

All y'all thanks and may Allah reward you for your contributions. Jazakallahu bi khair

Ma'assalam

yes, $100,000 includes fees but i went to a 2nd tier school (ranked in 40s). Ivy leagues & 1st tier r much more expensive.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

As things develop, do istikhaarah, and whatever will happen will be for the best, iA.

Wassalaam.