Islamic Forum
chee7ah

Islam In Germany

Wasalaam!

Sind hier Moslems aus Sued-Deutschland? Oder besonders Tuebingen?

Are there any muslims from Germany? Especially from the south?

Compared to the UK, I find that the Germans are much more xenophobic, certainly not towards individuals but towards muslims in general, no? For example I have spoken to a German friend (very educated by the way, educated at Oxford) & he feels that sisters wear hijab to segregate from German society. Because of these feelings I think I'll stay in the UK after I finish uni.

What are your experiences?

PropellerAds

Wa alaikum salam my dear brother.

Ich habe fast mein ganzen Leben in Deutschland verbracht. Vielleicht kann ich dir irgendwie weiterhelfen?

As you said, the german society is not used to see so many muslim. They're afraid of muslims and of any social relation with muslims. Especially after 911 everything changed in germany and life as a muslim is quite hard.

Of course not the germans, but the media and the goverment are quite unfair towards Islam. But I have hope, that the muslim youth will be able to transfer the message of Islam to the people and if there is trust between these muslims and the youth in that county, germany can be a nice place to leave...

:D

Ja ich lebe in Süd-Deutschland. :D

Feel free to pm me, if you have any questions inshaAllah.

As the brother said, the zionist media is doing it's best to portray Muslims in a bad and unfair way. Also some parties are tryng to catch peoples votes by descriminatory comments adding to Islamophobia.

Masajid are being raid on a regular basis since 9/11. You get the impression that the only security problem in this country are the Muslims. We are being put in the main focus.

Last time I was at the airport a security agent asked me to take off my hijab so that she could see if i was hiding some dangerous stuff under my scarf. Unbelieveable :D

A brother wearing a beard was asked to take off his shoes.

But like everywhere you find nice ppl and not so nice ppl in Germany. They aren't all bad. Most ppl have a good sence of fairness and straight forwardness. They are just very very reserved with strangers. But often times they are interested in knowing about the Islamic point of view as soon as they get to know Muslims .

They are just being brainwashed and we Muslim got to do the first step towards them showing them what Islam is really about.

Wa salam

Edited by Asiyah

Assalamu Aleikum

I am German, but I did not experience a lot in Germany because I am living in the United States, El Paso. I reverted to Islam here in the States. I was one year in Germany. I think that Germany is different from region to region. The people in North-Rhine Westfalia (Nord-Rhein Westfalen) seem to be very tolerant and they have been allowing female teachers to wear hijab at public school. However, in the Catholic areas of Germany the situation seems to be more difficult for Muslims.

There was a discussion on TV about hijab. Politicians mostly complained about hijab etc. Amazingly, a German Protestant Diakon was defending a Muslim woman that she can wear hijab at school.

Always politicians and leader have to complain but regular people usually do not complain. Church people seem to be more tolerant than other people. Maybe it is a fight between religion and anti-religion in general.

I was watching on the BBC about Muslims in Germany...mostly Turkish, am i right? There was a wedding, and i was pretty shocked. I mean there were lots of girls with hijab and good fitting clothes...but some of them...i would never think they were muslim! The wedding was totally westernized..

But other than that, German muslims are pretty nice people. Turkish kindness? lol.

One in nine Germans is foreign-born, compared to one in 10 in America.

The 7 million immigrants here hail from 180 nationalities. But their main components are: 2.6 million people of Turkish heritage; 1.5 million ethnic Germans, invited in from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe; 600,000 Italians; 550,000 Serbs; 500,000 Arabs; 350,000 Greeks; 320,000 Poles; 170,000 Bosnians; 75,000 Russian Jews; and 65,000 Afghans.

Almost half the immigrants are European and more than half have lived here longer than 10 years. Yet too many have failed to integrate.

That's not entirely their fault.

Germany, never considering itself in the immigration business, did little to help settle them.

The jobless rate for the foreign-born is twice as high as the national rate of 11 per cent.

Many live in ghettoes with high rates of crime and juvenile delinquency, especially in the Russian and East European communities.

But the problems faced by the Muslim Turks are unique. They are the most discriminated against and, not surprisingly, the most blamed. Brought in as guest workers, they were denied citizenship. Most bought property in Turkey and went there for family holidays.

"Their children are an in-between people," says Jana Simon, an author specializing in inter-generational issues. "Their soul is homeless."

When citizenship laws were finally eased five years ago, 1.9 million Turks took a pass.

They were required to give up their Turkish citizenship, which they wouldn't for emotional and by now financial reasons.

With only 600,000 citizens, Turkish Germans have too few votes and too little political clout to battle the racism in the workplace, public policy and public discourse. Their unemployment rate is 25 per cent nationally and 48 per cent in Berlin, says Kenan Kolat of an umbrella Turkish German group here. While 13 per cent of German families are poor, 70 per cent of Turkish ones are, he adds.

The jobless rate among Turkish youth hovers around 50 per cent in some cities.

It's little comfort that the young in some other ethnic groups are not doing well either. A study has shown that the public school system perpetuates the rich-poor divide. Nearly 80 per cent of the Turkish 16-21 age group are German-born. They are thus a German problem, not a Turkish one as popular parlance would have it.

(Source: The Toronto Star)

Assalmu Alakum,

I highly feel sorry for Germany, because what do you think about when someone says Germany? Nazi's, evil people, people thinking they are better then the rest? I mean they have such a low reputaiotn on the good scale with the 2 world wars and all that it is like people judge them before meeting the people. Yes, there are bad people all over the world, but there are also good people. It is only fair to be kind.

When we had to stay in Germany for one day and the people at the airport were very nice and help us!

I am not saying anything about what you have said, but I just feel that I should get my point across.

They have a bad reputation and they are only making it worst.

Check this out:

(www.)"http://meinberlin.de/nachrichten_und_aktuelles/21303.html"]meinberlin.de/nachrichten_und_a...lles/21303.html[/url]

I think that Germany is different from region to region. The people in North-Rhine Westfalia (Nord-Rhein Westfalen) seem to be very tolerant and they have been allowing female teachers to wear hijab at public school. However, in the Catholic areas of Germany the situation seems to be more difficult for Muslims.

I'm a german born and risen in NRW, and therefore I know its a dominantly catholic region :D

I'm a protestant, though, with roots in that eastern part of Germany that now belongs to Poland. As You may know, more than 25% of the german population have ancestors from that Old Eastern Germany.

Amazingly, a German Protestant Diakon was defending a Muslim woman that she can wear hijab at school.

Why are you amazed?

Church people seem to be more tolerant than other people. Maybe it is a fight between religion and anti-religion in general.

I agree, much anti-islamic feelings stems from either the "left" secular circles that are against religion in general, or from the "right" xenophobic and antisemitic circles that sympathize with the Nazis, who were dominantly pagan. It might be a good idea for open-minded Muslims to build a strategic alliance with the Jews in Germany. You have common enimies, at least. This will also silence those media that blame Muslims as intolerant and antisemitic, often by singeling out some hate-preachers (Hassprediger) that indeed are so.

Germany, never considering itself in the immigration business, did little to help settle them.

Seems this is going to shange. Since the "pisa" shock, when Germany found herself in a low rank concerning education, there is a lot of debate how to improve the education of lower classes in general, and especially immigrants. And there is a critic from outside: e.g. a UN commission studying the situation and blaming germany for not giving enough help to the immigrants to integrate here.

But the problems faced by the Muslim Turks are unique. They are the most discriminated against and, not surprisingly, the most blamed.

I don't think a contest who is most discriminated helps. Russia immigrants regularly complain they are more discriminated than the Turks who came before them and often have found a better standing than the Russian. Everybody sees his own problems clearers than those of other people, this is a common human trait.

Brought in as guest workers, they were denied citizenship

This changed after Gerhard Schroeder became chancellor in 1998, the barriers for immigrants to get citizenship being lower than until then.

When citizenship laws were finally eased five years ago, 1.9 million Turks took a pass.

Thats a general rule in Germany, every immigrant has to do this.

When the first immigrants came, mostly from catholic countries of southern Europe, many problems eased with the second genereation becoming more integrated than their elders. The Germans were not prepared for a situation where the problems deepen with the new generations, many German born turks speaking less German than their parents.

When we had to stay in Germany for one day and the people at the airport were very nice and help us!

Tourists and the like are a quite different category than immigrants. Hardly any such visitor will face any discrimination, unless he goes to unsafe places and bumps into some neo-nazi rogues. Just two different stories.

Btw, there are towns where there are less neonazis than other vandals, e.g. "german-russian" or Turkish ones. And such outsiders will, of course, hardly get a (usually well-paid) job at the airport :D

Hello my friends,

I feel like I should answer these question as a Turk born in Germany :D . Unfortunately this is our (Turks in Germany and Europe countries) biggest problem. I thing that these position is one of the greatest reasons of the Image of our Religin. In our Country is it hard to live Islam. (İts painfull to say that in a country that allowed the other religions to live without a problem 600 years together) Perhaps you did heard, You can't study in most of the Schools with head-scarf. Religious people can't send their girls to schools and they can't come to good positions. Someone and something don't let them grow. Islam is shown as oldfashion in Media. It is shown as it lets people uneducated and tries to keep the people away from it. They show beauty girls and things like these to keep them busy. bu elhamdulillah my people noticed the truth in a few years. But people that are living between two cultures and dont know much about their own culture. For example his father did go to Germany from a small to work. His village is important for him. But he brings his son to his small village every year. The child thing that whole Turkey is like this small village. People are uneducated and it looks like Africa (I've heard this from a small tukish boy that was in Turkey first time in his life).

And of course its hard to educate their children in non-muslim countries (people are kissing each other and doing things like this) everywhere. Dad and Mom are working the whole day and the childrens grove alone in this world around. They only see the Turkish Culture as they see it in Turkish TV channels and Turkish Films. I thing its very normal at this position to live like that. May Allah help their families and us too of course.

Some lucky guys (like me Elhamdulillah (Thank Allah)), have the chance to learn their religion from their familiy. My familiy brought me to turkey as I was 10. I've graduated the Primary school in Germany and Secondary and High School in My country. Now I'm in germany again (Berlin) to Study University. But I'm hopefull about my Country and People here. Allah may help us... :D

Salaam!

I was wondering if anyone can help me locate a German Quran that I can purchase. Possibly with Arabic Quran and the German interpretation.

And if you can tell me which interpreter is the most famous, recognized and easy to understand that would be great. And also if there is a commentary that would be good too.

I guess I'm looking for an Abdullah Yusuf Ali-type German interpreter.

If you can help out please let me know!

Jazak Allah Khair :D

Salaam!

I was wondering if anyone can help me locate a German Quran that I can purchase. Possibly with Arabic Quran and the German interpretation.

I can't, but may be the following link will interest You:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.nur-koran.de/korantext/index.php"]6 German Qoranic versions[/url]

I'm not sure about the sect that provides these versions online, but I suppose they did not dare to meddle with their texts, so You can use this as a starting point to find something out about existing versions.

Edited by looking by

Dear forum members,

Assalamu Alaykum,

I'm happy to join your forum. I am a Muslimah in the United Kingdom, originally from Egypt, but I have lived in the UK all my life. I work as newspaper journalist.

I'm not sure if we have any german muslims here, I am looking for a sister or brother who can share their comments with me as I am writing an article about a priest in germany who burned himself to call for action against the spreading of Islam. If someone is interested to give me a quote about what they think/feel about this story, please feel free to reply here inshallah or pm me.

You can find the story by visiting google and typing in Reverend Roland Weisselberg, you will find a link that says german pastor kills himself over Islam fear.

Thank you for your time, may Allah be with you all,

Nouran

Welcome to Gawaher sis. :D your stay here will be fruitful. :D

I merged your topic with this thread about 'Islam in Germany' as it will receive better attention here, from our German Muslim members :D

The topic you're referring to, is also being discussed here:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=35130&hl=priest"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...0&hl=priest[/url]

Jazak Allah Kheyran sister :D My deadline is today, so inshallah I hope to receive some replies. If not that's alright though! :D

Take care and thank you for your kind welcome sister,

Nouran

Please from our Lord,

I'm not sure if we have any german muslims here, I am looking for a sister or brother who can share their comments with me as I am writing an article about a priest in germany who burned himself to call for action against the spreading of Islam. If someone is interested to give me a quote about what they think/feel about this story, please feel free to reply here inshallah or pm me.

I am no Muslim, but German. There are some German Muslims here, but since from a non-Muslim viewpoint many Muslims in Germany tend to seperate themselves from society, it is an open question whether they know much about the incident.

You can find the story by visiting google and typing in Reverend Roland Weisselberg, you will find a link that says german pastor kills himself over Islam fear.

There is a parallel to that story: In 1989, the German reverend Oskar Bruesewitz burned himself as a last mean to protest against the oppression of faith by communist GDR regime. Weisselberg is from the former GDR part of Germany, he surely saw this as a parallel.

The reactions of Christians are mixed. On the one hand, most think the fears of Weisselberg were exaggerated, and there is of course the open question whether such action is allowable for a Christian.

On the other hand, here have been several incidents, in Germany or international, that show the fanatism of radical Muslims, and the helpless softliness of the western reaction to it. A few weeks ago the liberal Muslim Bassam Tibi left Germany because he did not feel safe here (at least in the long run) and went to the USA. He denounced the double-speak of some so-called maderate Islamic organization, and pointed aout the fact that all moderate groups together only represent a small minority of Muslims. And he was disappointed that his warnings of radical, sometimes rather fascist Muslims extremists were not heard.

For a person focused on Islam, and on militant Islam, things will have looked alarming during the last half year or so. And that 73-year old reverend surley was alarmed. We Christians do refrain from "judging" him and commit him to the mercy of God.

The impact of this incident will rather be very small, as can be seen in the reactions of leading church officials.

Hallo, the thread is 2 years old, but I am also from NRW, it is indeed more tolerant, as are urban areas in Germany generally.

As you said, the german society is not used to see so many muslim. They're afraid of muslims and of any social relation with muslims. Especially after 911 everything changed in germany and life as a muslim is quite hard.
This is true, unfortunately.
Of course not the germans, but the media and the goverment are quite unfair towards Islam. But I have hope, that the muslim youth will be able to transfer the message of Islam to the people and if there is trust between these muslims and the youth in that county, germany can be a nice place to leave...
I don't think the government is unfair towards Islam, I'd be interested to learn what makes you say this.

As the brother said, the zionist media is doing it's best to portray Muslims in a bad and unfair way. Also some parties are tryng to catch peoples votes by descriminatory comments adding to Islamophobia.
What "zionist media" are there in Germany?

In our Country is it hard to live Islam. (İts painfull to say that in a country that allowed the other religions to live without a problem 600 years together) Perhaps you did heard, You can't study in most of the Schools with head-scarf. Religious people can't send their girls to schools and they can't come to good positions. Someone and something don't let them grow.
Are you talking about Germany? Which other religions have lived together in Germany for 600years?

Are headscarves banned in most German schools? This is news for me.

Noone prevents religious people sen ding their girls to school, in fact it's a requirement to attend school.

But you need to respect that Germany's public schools are secular and generally speaking, do not teach Islam.

Hello, iam also living in germany, i also consider myself a german, although having migration-background. Anyway, i do not feel comfortable with the development in the german society, regarding the muslim minority. The state does not allow us to build new Masjids anymore, and they even want to forbid us to build minarets which are higher than their churches, although the turkish state is willing to finance it by itself, with no financial aid from the german state. Thats a scandal and against the freedom of religion: they forbid to restrict muslim buildings to a certain heights, but if we would like to build a high tower building at the same place, they do not restrict the height. Why do they care about the tallnes of our buildings? This is ridiclous. Islamophobia is also raising, after media reported some incidents, in whch young muslim persons attacked elder germans. thanks to this, every muslim is treated like a potential criminal... This situation is unacceptable, i agree that the muslims should be self-critical, but so should the germans.

Salamu alaykum,

bro liberalmuslim welcome to the forum, you seem you are pretty new here.

Its sad to see such things against Muslim people around the world. I've heard recently about that "yangın". I am very sorry for that. Hope things go better with time.

hahaha Islam in Germany

Asalamu Alaiykum

Ich komme aus Leipzig, Ostdeutschland ^^

I can tell you straight forward how unfair the government is towards muslims, as well as the people. I'm not discriminated against because I am white, and no one can tell I converted, but turks, holy moly.

Islam brings a cultural difference a lot of Germans aren't willing to accept. Part of it because Turkish people, part of it because racism. People don't realize how racist Europe itself still is.

Insha'Allah this will change

Salaam

Salam

The people seems to be different from Federal State to Federal State in Germany. I have noticed that people in North Rhine Westphalia, Lower Saxony, and North seem to be more open-minded than people from the Southern predominantly Catholic states/regions.

In Cologne and Bonn, I have not witnessed any discrimination from the people towards Muslims.

I guess in the eastern part of Germany there is more anti-religion than in other parts, because in the GDR religion was not tolerated as far as I know.

The German represent the Indo-Aryan Mentality. Indo-Aryans were the people who invaded the Indus Valley and introduced the Vedas to the world and imposed the Vedic Law on the people of the Indus Valley. They also invented the caste system = divide and rule strategy.

Edited by Yusha

I guess in the eastern part of Germany there is more anti-religion than in other parts, because in the GDR religion was not tolerated as far as I know.

Wasalaam

I'm really happy you mentioned this. You are exactly right! A lot of discrimination against Muslims here comes from Old Time Communists who are still loyal to the USSR and New Time Nazis who have come in offering reform to those who hated the USSR.

You haven't seen any discrimination in the South? This surprises me, I haven't either, for I don't live there and only go there on special occasions. This kind of surprises me, but you do have a point, the South is predominately Catholic, and me used to have being Catholic know that Catholics won't discriminate against Muslims.

Thank you for your post :sl:

Salam

I realize that most of the converts/reverts to Islam from Christianity, they are mostly Catholics.

In the earlier post I said that the Northern Germany seems to be more relaxed toward Muslims than the Southern Germany (Roman). The Catholic Regions seem to be more strict because they want to keep their traditions and they expect others to follow their traditions. They seem to be against multiculture or a blend of cultures and ways of life.

It is not necessarily religion against religion, but tradition against tradition or culture against culture.

I also observed that Catholics seem to be more strict against Muslims that Protestants in Europe, but in North America the Protestants are more strict against Muslims than Catholics. I think the reason could be that the Catholics were persecuted and discriminated in North America together with the Blacks, Jews, and Native America. Puritanic Protestantism was followed mostly and other were discriminated. They call this denomination Christian Identity which teaches that the Whites are the lost tribes of israel.

In Europe the Protestants had to endure persecution by the Catholics/Orthodox. It seems that the persecuted groups hold together. In North America the Catholics were persecuted so they know what it feel and they may see the Muslims who are persecuted as companions in misfortune/fellow sufferers - Leidensgenossen.

I think that Nordrhein-Westfalen, Niedersachsen, Schleswig-Holstein are less strict among the states than the Bavaria or Baden-Wurttemberg.

I lived in Bonn/Cologne and I can tell that they are open to multiculture.

I don't know why some regions are more strict than the others, but I have some suggestions:

1. Germany was divided into four Besatzungszonen (occupied zones). I believe that the American, British, French, and Soviets had different politics towards Muslims and other groups and religion in general. I think this influenced the people. The people who lived in the American occupied zones have different opinions than those who grew up in British occupied zones etc.

2. The Catholics seem to be more strict on Muslims. Each region in Germany is influenced by tradition and the predominant denomination. Other regions have tradition in multiculture and are more open-minded.

3. In some regions there are "wars" the churches fight a war against a common enemy. There is not just a struggle between Muslim and Christianity, but the Churches and Religions seem to move together, because there is another war and that is between Religion against Non-Religion. The religions are forced to ally each other, otherwise the Atheist/Non-Religion Movement will prevail.

4. Some regions are predominantly anti-Religious.

5. When I studied Marketing in Cologne University, they taught me about Marktsegmentierung (market/demographic segmentation). There are altogether 9 Milieus in Germany. There are different milieus and they have all different characteristics. Each milieu has a different opinion towards multiculture and difference.

Some milieus are traditional and others are toward modernism and other combine both. The Milieus are determined by the Social Status/Class which is usually defined by wealth and power.

I will open a thread to talk about the milieus.

6. Germans are not just one tribe, but in the past they were different tribes with different mentalities and values. The people of Baden-Wurttemberg/Pfalz are mainly Alemans/Alemannen, while the Bavarians were from the tribe called Harkomannen and in the North there were Angles and Goths/Jueten. There are other tribes such as Frankonians and others. I think this also influenced the characters of people.