Islamic Forum
property_of_allah

Changing My Course

asslamualaikum

HELP ME! I tihnk I am on the verge of pulling my hair out! :D

I am currently studying Accouting with Business Information Systems (you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.manchester.ac.uk/degreeprogrammes/undergraduate/UMBF1-H7N4G5.htm) those who have been on the forum long enough will know how excited I was...but its gone all wrong! :D The accounting is A LOT harder than I thought!!

So i am now consideing chnging to Computing for Business Applications, which is what I should have chosen, this is more my type of course! :D "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.manchester.ac.uk/degreeprogrammes/undergraduate/UMBF1-H5G510.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.manchester.ac.uk/degreeprogramm...MBF1-H5G510.htm[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.co.umist.ac.uk/courses/ug_details_comp_busi_app.php"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.co.umist.ac.uk/courses/ug_detai...mp_busi_app.php[/url] (for more information!)

Anywayz, I will have to start again from first year coz of the different modules taught, and wanted your advce on whether you think its worth it or not...If I have to do accounting for 3 years I will Die..Literally..!

Is it worth it, or is this year a waste then??

walaikumsalam jazakhallah'Khairun in advance!

PropellerAds

:D

depends on u tollay.. if u r going hate doin jobs related to accounting in the future then it's mos def a waste.

i too did Accounting with Information Systems. but i loved it .

if u r planning on working after u graduate...

here's a few pointers from my experiance....

Accounting/finance industry is very much stable & not too many long hrs.

Computing for Bus App.. if that's like programming then it means unstable business environment. lots of highs & lows. comes along with long nights & work on the weekends.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Is there a 2nd or 3rd year student you can ask to see if it gets easier if you plug at it, or if it gets harder/easier the following years?

I'd be tempted to finish the year and see how the exams go before deciding. Oh yeah, you could istikhaarah.

Wassalaam.

asslamualaikum, Jazakhallah'Khairun for your replies brothers!

i too did Accounting with Information Systems. but i loved it .

if u r planning on working after u graduate...

here's a few pointers from my experiance....

Accounting/finance industry is very much stable & not too many long hrs.

Computing for Bus App.. if that's like programming then it means unstable business environment. lots of highs & lows. comes along with long nights & work on the weekends.

well I love the business information systems bit, but not the accounting its just not for me...!!

Well, I understand what yor saying about the stability of the environment and stuff, but as far as working goes I dont think so..this degree is more like a back-up for me..if that makes sense..!

Is there a 2nd or 3rd year student you can ask to see if it gets easier if you plug at it, or if it gets harder/easier the following years?

I'd be tempted to finish the year and see how the exams go before deciding. Oh yeah, you could istikhaarah..

well you see bro, i spoke to my course administrator and also checked the books and course outlines and it does get harder, the accounting becomes more solid and is like 40% is 2nd year, so its not for me...but I would feel like i will be throwing a year away!

Isthikharah insha'Allah I will defo try!

Althouh i feel like i will be throwing a year away, but then again I dont coz it feels like this has been ane xperience, also i kno what is expected of me at uni now, work wise, so i cant be slacking insha'Allah will just be working all the time, and not gt distracted! If that makes sense, and plus 2 of the modules are the same for both courses so I will have a head start thus can concentrate more on the ohter courses which wil obviously b more demanding!

walaikumsalam

Assalamu Alaykum sister POA

May Allah guide you to choose the best after your istikhara.

I dont know exactly the situation, but the last thing you want to do is start business information systems and find it hard as well or realise you dont like it. So what makes you strongly believe you will like the buss. comp. system and will do well?

At the same time of course, you do not want to continue what you really dont like and will not do well in. A similar situation happened to me bro, and after he changed courses, it was all good. He enjoyed it and is doing really well.

Ma'assalam

asslamualaiikum

May Allah guide you to choose the best after your istikhara.

I dont know exactly the situation, but the last thing you want to do is start business information systems and find it hard as well or realise you dont like it. So what makes you strongly believe you will like the buss. comp. system and will do well?

At the same time of course, you do not want to continue what you really dont like and will not do well in. A similar situation happened to me bro, and after he changed courses, it was all good. He enjoyed it and is doing really well.

I completely understand what your saying brothe,r but I suppose thats a risk that I will have to take, and surely anything is better than Accounting!! Its just so hard, I regret picking this course..!!

And plus with the computing for business applications I have seen the course outline and the courses studies it is more my cup of tea, than the accounting, and in reality i should have researched it more when I first came to University, I suppose I just made rash decisions..!

walaikiumsalam

salaam

I done a similar course (accounting) when I was at university...Sister, as I think you are aware, accounting is quite a broad subject, I am wondering which part do you find hard.

Couple of people in my year found some bits of accounting bit hard but stuck at it, and they are doing well in there jobs now...

Can I ask a question, are you changing course because, you want to go into computing and IT or you just want to stay away from accounting because you are finding hard.

Let me know sister...

Ma sallam

Edited by Rahim

asslamualaikum

I done a similar course (accounting) when I was at university...Sister, as I think you are aware, accounting is quite a broad subject, I am wondering which part do you find hard.

Couple of people in my year found some bits of accounting bit hard but stuck at it, and they are doing well in there jobs now...

Can I ask a question, are you changing course because, you want to go into computing and IT or you just want to stay away from accounting because you are finding hard.

Let me know sister...

Ma sallam

becuase I am finidng it hard, from the basics to the most advanced features! You can only truly undertsand accounting if you can gradp the basics, right?...well I cant even do that! I mean i kno the accounting equation, debit, credit and the simple stuff but like we do 'managemnt accounting' 'finanical reporting' and 'financial decision making' this is the hardest, vasue its all numbers and not essay based whereas 'management, information and IT' is essay based, and i liked that!

so I am chnging coz i dont like accounting its to hard to understand! :D

walaikumsalam

asslamualaikum

becuase I am finidng it hard, from the basics to the most advanced features!  You can only truly undertsand accounting if you can gradp the basics, right?...well I cant even do that!  I mean i kno the accounting equation, debit, credit and the simple stuff but like we do 'managemnt accounting' 'finanical reporting' and 'financial decision making' this is the hardest, vasue its all numbers and not essay based whereas 'management, information and IT' is essay based, and i liked that!

so I am chnging coz i dont like accounting its to hard to understand!  :D

walaikumsalam

salaam sister

OK, you are finding difficult from the basic level, then I suppose, you are not suited to the course at all. I suppose you should do something else, the only thing is that Computing for Business Applications, I think has some complex maths as well, so you probably need to look in to it lot more. Sister I hope everything works out for you......

Take care

Ma sallam