Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
{(~Genetic Fr3ak~)}

Superstitious ...? !

:D

common trend being followed by the "SO CALLED" modern muslims ... in my country .. !!

well .. horrorscopes are a total waste of time .. but what fascinates me is the concept of FENG SHUI .. other than the stupid and baselss monuments they tell us to place in our house hold their concepts about the life force and energy seem to be really captivating ... for. eg .. it is written that if i face the east side while studying ... it will give me greater concentration .. and the straneg thing is .. it really does help ?? am i supposed to believe in such matters .. regarding such stuff ... another example is that they advice to keep the toilet door closed .. to keep away evil spirits .. even over here as well .. i read in a book that the shaitaans tend to reside in our toilets and eat what is there .. so they advice to keep the doors closed .. plus we also have to say the DUa before entering the toilet to keep them away from intefering into our thoughts ??

the concept of CHI .. the concept of physical culture .. the concepts surrounding life force and energy .. are they all worth giving thoughts ???

horrorscopes at times do turn out to be true .. i atleast have the mind to ignore such bull about horrorscopes but what about the articles around the positive and negative energies surrounding the human body and his/her surroundings ?? !!

Anybody reading this .. please feel free to educate me .. or bash me up .. other than the IF support team :D !!

PropellerAds

common trend being followed by the "SO CALLED" modern muslims ... in my country .. !!

well .. horrorscopes are a total waste of time .. but what fascinates me is the concept of FENG SHUI .. other than the stupid and baselss monuments they tell us to place in our house hold their concepts about the life force and energy seem to be really captivating ... for. eg .. it is written that if i face the east side while studying ... it will give me greater concentration .. and the straneg thing is .. it really does help ?? am i supposed to believe in such matters .. regarding such stuff ... another example is that they advice to keep the toilet door closed .. to keep away evil spirits .. even over here as well .. i read in a book that the shaitaans tend to reside in our toilets and eat what is there .. so they advice to keep the doors closed .. plus we also have to say the DUa before entering the toilet to keep them away from intefering into our thoughts ??

the concept of CHI .. the concept  of  physical culture .. the concepts surrounding life force and energy .. are they all worth giving thoughts ???

horrorscopes at times do turn out to be true .. i atleast have the mind to ignore such bull about horrorscopes but what about the articles around the positive and negative energies surrounding the human body and his/her surroundings ?? !!

Anybody reading this .. please feel free to educate me .. or bash me up .. other than the IF support team :D !!

Peace

If it is ok to post this, i delt with many western thinking people in the past and find there interpitations contradicting there own way of living, most are willing to be honest about that and seek salvation, most who believe they have it all live in the hands of there won wrong doing untill they surrender.

Horoscopes are never accurate anyway, they base there stories on many limitations of the concepts of mythology, influence of sun and moon or other plantes, and all kinds of distorted ideas that sciencists also disaprove and say that mythology and believing in the gods syncronized with planets are all false interpitations.

While the creator of all this planets which ignorant people of the past thought of as Gods is the tru e God, Allah., Becuase Allah sustains them and other universes not percieved by ours, as well as ones beyond we will not ever need to get into here in this life until we succeed in been good to transform to them, ultimatly by doing his will, and jannah is the final place for us as muslims.

as far as all these thoery and energy you speak about giving thought, its heartless to bother becuase the goal to peace here is to breath and live it, not thinking about it, or trying to decend its knowledge, especialy to pervert it by seeking to use knowledge over ignorant people as power over them or self confidence against those he/she is threatended by which all spell shaytanism and pretentiousness.

So you may think of Allah as the laws of the universe and your actions in it, the invisable that holds up those planets and if wished could simply change the atmosphere into another world at a blink of a eye, but Allah is also the creator of the law once you discover and more beyond this life once you make that testimony.,

:D brother Raja you have given a fairly good answer. I shall just add a few lines from a Islamiic perspectve.

Allah :D makes things happen and seem to be because of these things because He gives more room for disbelief where disbelief is being followed as a choice.

As for the bathroom, yes we should keep the door closed and should read the dua when entering. But this has nothing to do with these superstitions and disbelief.

Wassalam

PS : Nobody should even think of bashing you as you are asking a genuine question based on something you know.

Without to know about Feng Shui ,years ago i have decided to buy two tortoises, like pets. After 9 years all i can say are not the right pet and i would not recommand to keep them inside of the house. One colleague which follow the Feng shui cures told me what a big luck i have because of my tortoises. According to her i should have more tranquility and joy in my life which is complete false. Completely false. I don't believe at all.

Peace.

Some of that Feng Shui stuff works, not because of spirits and energies so much as because of human psychology. Some of it is great advice about how to make your living space more attractive and pleasant. That's all. May as well use it, you don't have to believe all the rubbish about spirits. If facing east helps you study better, face east and remember that it's that way because God made you and the world that way.

Tortoises do not make good pets. They are much messier and harder to care for than one might be led to believe. The Feng Shui people also say that fish are good luck and bring tranquility and all, and this is sort of true -- watching a tank of fish is very calming.

Peace Kale!

Islam teaches us to find peace and tranquility in Allah :D. The amount of peace and tranquility one gets after performing salah (prayer) is beyond anything this world can give. Again, Islam does not let us attach ourselves to materialistic and physical things. Thus, fishes may give you peace and tranquility, but much less than I can get from standing in front of Allah :D and performing my salah.

Peace out.

Peace, Aburafay.

Oh, God made my pet fish. It is calming to look at the wonderous beauty of God's fish, and witness how God sustains its grace and life. I don't think it's materialistic to enjoy this.

Do you not have pets, houseplants, and things that make your home more pleasant and calming?

Peace Kale!

Yes, I have had pets. Yes, I have house plants. These are things made by Allah :D for our benefit in one way or another. But, as I mentioned in my earlier post, my tranquility comes from meditating to Allah :D and not staring at these objects. Beliieve me, there is a lot of difference, when you are in direct communication with your Creator, as in the daily five prayers.

Peace out.

Peace.

Some of that Feng Shui stuff works, not because of spirits and energies so much as because of human psychology. Some of it is great advice about how to make your living space more attractive and pleasant. That's all. May as well use it, you don't have to believe all the rubbish about spirits. If facing east helps you study better, face east and remember that it's that way because God made you and the world that way.

Tortoises do not make good pets. They are much messier and harder to care for than one might be led to believe. The Feng Shui people also say that fish are good luck and bring tranquility and all, and this is sort of true -- watching a tank of fish is very calming.

Peace KALE

Now you have turned the topic into your worshiping a fish or pets for peace.

We worship our creator (my lord and you lord) not his creation.

By coming to terms with ourselves and praying we have found our peace, this is because our creator (yours and mine) gave us eyes, ears, a mind and mouth in the first place., And once you have peace, you do not need anything else do you?

But on the contrary some people "think" they can buy peace, or find it amonst other peacefull creatures, or even killing others becuase they can not face themselves after there evil piled up against them rather then turning towards there lord for peace on there own two feet while they have this life even if it is there last chance.

Any other option will only have a glimpse of what our creator (my lord and your lord) promises, and his promise is true but only for those who make the sacrifice and do good and worship him in spirit, and those who do not ill not inherit his will (peace).

JOHN 4 [24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Mathew 15 [9] But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men...

Peace.

Aburafay, I suspect that you are sorely mistaken in your weird opinion that my relationship with my houseplants and fish is any different from your relationship with your plants or any other object of beauty which you enjoy seeing and which gives you pleasure.

Raja, your suggestion that I worship fish is most frightfully insulting.

Peace Kale!

I suspect that you are sorely mistaken in your weird opinion that my relationship with my houseplants and fish is any different from your relationship with your plants or any other object of beauty which you enjoy seeing and which gives you pleasure.

If you overemphasise on pets and house plants to give you peace and tranquility, when the party you are having discussion with emphasises on peace and transquility from the Creator, I do not think it is fair of you to call the opinion weird.

I reiterate that Islam discourages symbolic attachments and totally discourages us from trying to find Allah :D in things that He has created. He can be found directly. He is closer to us than our jugular vein - all we need is to look for Him.

Peace out.

Peace Kale!

If you overemphasise on pets and house plants to give you peace and tranquility, when the party you are having discussion with emphasises on peace and transquility from the Creator, I do not think it is fair of you to call the opinion weird.

Peace.

Aburafay, it is weird.

It is weird to describe someone who points out that looking at fish-tanks is relaxing (something scientists have in fact, proven to be so) as 'overemphasising.' Especially when that person (that is, me) was responding to the original question of this thread by saying that the psuedo-religious qualities of 'Feng Shui' have nothing to do with it 'working.' It is a simple fact that if your home is pleasant, you will be calmer.

It is weird to suppose that I, a non-muslim, must have some near-worshipful relationship with my plants and pets, because I accept with gratitude the benefits given by God through them. While of course, as a Muslim, you're merely accepting their benefits.

I am a Quaker. We also discourage, very strictly, symbolic attachments. There are no symbols of Quakerism. We don't keep crosses in our homes, and we don't have church-buildings at all, and certainly none with symbols in them. We discourage, very strictly, attachment to material things. Or homes are simple, our clothes are simple. We are, in fact, so known for our extreme position on these matters that if you were to say these things about a Quaker to anybody who knows what Quakerism is, you'd be laughed clear out of town.

Islam is said, by scholars who write to encourage Westerners to accept Islam, to be science-friendly, yet when I explain things scientifically, I am accused of materialism.

Islam is said to encourage respect, yet I, a Christian (and a Unitarian one at that) have been accused of worshipping a fish.

What is being overemphasised here is your own bigoted belief that all Westerners are obsessed with material things.

Allow me to give my 2 cents here.

You're right Kale about the beautiful feelings one gets when watching God's wonderful creations. But did you stop at the idea that we're actually 'imprisoning' these creatures for our own selfesh pleasure? I mean, observing them in their natural habitat is amazig, but capturing them, and selling them to us to imprison in our houses, to give us tranquility?

My children are crying to get me to buy them pets. I wish I could fulfill their desires, but Islam forbids us to have pets, out of mercy and because God created all creatures to be free, not in boxes, cages, tanks or behind closed doors.

Peace Kale!

At the outset, let me say that if you have been offended by my responses, please accept my sincere apologies. My posts are based on Islamic teachings and are meant to extend knowledge (the little that I have been endowed with).

Peace.

Aburafay, it is weird.

It is weird to describe someone who points out that looking at fish-tanks is relaxing (something scientists have in fact, proven to be so) as 'overemphasising.' Especially when that person (that is, me) was responding to the original question of this thread by saying that the psuedo-religious qualities of 'Feng Shui' have nothing to do with it 'working.' It is a simple fact that if your home is pleasant, you will be calmer.

My purpose is to show what Islam teaches. If the fish-tank suggestion came from a Muslim, my response would have been the same.

It is weird to suppose that I, a non-muslim, must have some near-worshipful relationship with my plants and pets, because I accept with gratitude the benefits given by God through them. While of course, as a Muslim, you're merely accepting their benefits.

As stated above, if the post were from a Muslim, my response would be the same. There are Muslims who get attracted to worldly things - things they can see, as this is human nature. I do not know your exact religious inclinations and have therefore just pointed out what I felt tshould be pointed out for your sake and for those who will be reading this topic.

I am a Quaker. We also discourage, very strictly, symbolic attachments. There are no symbols of Quakerism. We don't keep crosses in our homes, and we don't have church-buildings at all, and certainly none with symbols in them. We discourage, very strictly, attachment to material things. Or homes are simple, our clothes are simple. We are, in fact, so known for our extreme position on these matters that if you were to say these things about a Quaker to anybody who knows what Quakerism is, you'd be laughed clear out of town.

Simplicity and humility are virtues of the people who will be favoured on the Daay of Judgement. Again, as I stated above, symbolism is something that humans tend to get attracted to. I am sure you must be very particular in avoiding symbolism, as I have been reading your posts and find them quite interesting and balanced.

Islam is said, by scholars who write to encourage Westerners to accept Islam, to be science-friendly, yet when I explain things scientifically, I am accused of materialism.

It is not science-friendly. It has knowledge which scientists have later found to be correct, and are still finding to be correct from new discoveries.

Islam is said to encourage respect, yet I, a Christian (and a Unitarian one at that) have been accused of worshipping a fish.

Here again, I extend my apology if we have erred in giving you that impression. But, I hope you have understood my objective.

What is being overemphasised here is your own bigoted belief that all Westerners are obsessed with material things.

No comment. :D

Peace out.

Peace.

Aburafay, it is weird.

Assalamo Alaikum!

Kale, please dont take this post the wrong way, i am NOT upset at you or anything like that.

I would like to show you that the argument you raise is not to do with Islam, it is more of a complex you get when your confronting yourself in everyday life of the west, and actually disagrees with all religions of one God and rejected by Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammed (PBUTA)..

idolatry is the first of the 10 Comandments, Add agencies of the west with the media have the biggest buisness going in the cunsumer market becuase there open knowledge of idolatry, they know very well that it leeds people to grave sins, most been Jewish themselves would never wear a t-shirt with any symbals. People who fall for the flash of these products will fight and protect them more then there own next of kin, relatives, and we are warned about the extreams you have been hearing everyday around the world of relatives killing there parents over wealth, greed and more.

So Would you consider looking at some facts i posted below since your not familiar with Islam?

Like:

Can you let me know what your definition of worship means?

The way you described your "Ardent devotion; adoration" for a fish is called "worship" in most dictionaries of the west., would you place a fish between the ministries of peace (Islam) and you? i would find out before diving into things i did not know.

You have been tossing your pet fish into a Islamic forum as if a fish could give you the same sustenance Allah already has. As any believer may say, Maybe you should consider your direct relationship with your creator., and many who idolize jesus (PBUH) may agree with you but take that in consideration if you do becuase it desplaces the one he said you should worship.

It might be safe to say that you have a problem accepting the steps we take from the very books you read (gospal), which are the ten commandments Jesus (PBUH) stated must be kept to enter paradise, and to face our actions open or secret between us and our creator for salvation.

It makes no sense if you attribute things to Islam which are from your own experiences when you do not have any experience as a muslim.. and a Muslim does know about Christianity and The book more then most christains think, we believe and read the Qur'an everyday, it contains the Torah and Gospal with the guidance from Allah alone.

here are again a few comparisons you will find between the Qur'an and the Bible:

Worship Allah alone.

MATT 4  [10] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Know that Allah knows your secrets:

LUKE 12

[2] For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

[3] Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

[4] And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

[5] But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Worshiping other then Allah..

Qur'an [2.165] And there are some among men who take for themselves objects of worship besides Allah, whom they love as they love Allah, and those who believe are stronger in love for Allah and O, that those who are unjust had seen, when they see the chastisement, that the power is wholly Allah's and that Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

Now if you say you do not worship a fish but yet Allah then why argue with muslims of all people if you know they do to and seek to learn more of how to live on this planet at the upmost peacefull way.

AS FAR AS Bigotry.....

You should know better then anyone else that christianity was in the dark ages, and then mentioning the world was round got you the death penalty back then, because Muslims in the south of spain already knew 1400 years ago.

The only reasons the west has been so slow to accept Islam is because of there Bigotry, may i remind you Islam allowd people to stay with there faith and pray in the same mosqs, the south of spain had christains, jews and muslims in peace for 700 years and before that in israel!

And as long as others practiced there religions they had to pay there own tax as before which covered there crimes as well.

But let me ask you this.

1-Do you agree that jesus (PBUH) was a man from the middle east, a arab?

------------------------

I find many Christians having a problem with that one, do you think it is so important he is a white man anf fit the person you want him to be?

If you do have this problem then your the bigot no?

2-Do you agree that Judaism is a religion and not a ethnic minority?

------------------------

Did you even know that NAZIS named jews a ethnic minority 1st?

And that the U.S. after adopting the nazi book by Hitler called " the new world order" did also?

If you think its not relevant then why is not the states trying to protect there citizens from china and north korea, who openly stated they have nukes to reach california if americans get in there way for taiwan and so on.

3- Do you agree that Islam has been (racially discriminated) against as a African religion by the US and there media who discredits Islam for all there contributions to science, law, domestic living, equality, and more?

------------------------

I can fill pages of things you live by today which are Islamic but never knew it because people only accepted it when a non arab has presented it to them.

i would reflect the importance of Allah to us all, before arguing with fish, racism and other things which are problems present in your own society and are not in Islam.

And I AGREE that there may be some brothers in Islam who are been tested and make mistakes, but if you learn about Islam and understand it, i think you would be glad you did becuase it makes more sense why Allah want us to worship him humbly to remove our ills.

May i again refere to both the Bible and Qur'an.

Bible-Injeel  (here Jesus -Isa PBUH)

states that giving up every single thing you love for Allah is worth it!

LUKE 18

[27] And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

[28] Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.

[29] And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,

[30] Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting!

Qur'an 

(Her Allah accepts the prayers and promises salvation to those willing to do the same)

[3.195] So their Lord accepted their prayer: That I will not waste the work of a worker among you, whether male or female, the one of you being from the other; they, therefore, who fled and were turned out of their homes and persecuted in My way and who fought and were slain, I will most certainly cover their evil deeds, and I will most certainly make them enter gardens beneath which rivers flow; a reward from Allah, and with Allah is yet better reward.

(here Allah details how believers should handle there relationships with evil doers)

[60.9] Allah only forbids you respecting those who made war upon you on account of (your) religion, and drove you forth from your homes and backed up (others) in your expulsion, that you make friends with them, and whoever makes friends with them, these are the unjust.

I only say that no matter what religion your in now, there is only One God (Allah) and the same Allah never changes his plan, for Allah time is not but our respite to get it right here, everything from striking terror into the hearts of tyrant unbelievers in the torah to Jesus (PBUH) praying like we are today, on his face like abraham (PBUH) for his life.

May peace be with you Kale..

Edited by Raja

the concept of CHI .. the concept  of  physical culture .. the concepts surrounding life force and energy .. are they all worth giving thoughts ???

Assalam alaikum,

*I'm from the far east* I heard from someone who said that a Chinese person who converted to Islam (whose father is a sorcerer) said that Chi people deal with shaitan. Well, I think he was talking about when Chi is enabling you to do extra-powerful things, beyond human's abilities.

Allahu a3lam.

As for Fung Shu... I guess it's some science mixed with lots of junk.

I think Islam draws a clear line for us, when to believe something, when to deny it, and when to leave it alone with no confirmation or rejection.

For example, putting a picture in the house will block the Angels, that is part of the unseen, but we know it from the authentic hadith. So we can tell the Fung Shui people, hey don't block your peace of mind by hanging pictures :D

And Allah knows the best,