Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spacebar

Darwin & Racism

I know one thing sure. Darwin is racist. I thing this must stay here for reference.

Darwin claimed that the "fight for survival" also applied between human races. "Favored races" emerged victorious from this struggle. According to Darwin the favored race were the European whites. As for Asian and African races, they had fallen behind in the fight for survival.

At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.

Charles Darwin, "The Descent of Man" chapter 6

23th paragraph, count the ones without star

"http://book-worm/darwin-charles/the-descent-of-man/chapter-06.html"]book-worm/darwin-charles/th...chapter-06.html[/url]

from "http://mediamonitors#####/harunyahya44.html"]mediamonitors#####

/harunyahya44.html[/url]

PropellerAds

Yep, Darwin was a racist. It doesn't take away from the impact his ideas have had on science. Some of his assertions were wrong, some were right. You won't see anyone trying to put Darwin on a pedastal, like Mohammed.

Edited by slashwrist

As far as I know it's true. But the only part that I really have a problem with is where he says that the Europeans are the superior race.

According to the theory, after migrating out of africa the different major 'tribes' differentiated, slowly evolving(to suit their conditions) which gives rise to the difference in skin colour and other factors such as the likelyhood of kidney cancer in black men or skin cancer in white men.

There's nothing racist about saying that we're all from different lineages.

Where Darwin goes wrong is to assume that the Europeans were superior and also that the different 'tribes' wouldn't interbreed. If everyone stayed close to where they were born, and didn't interbreed we would all eventually form seperate species. That's when we'd be struggling with each other.

It surprises me that Darwin wasn't more astute. It seems obvious to me that the differences between the major 'races' are almost entirely social. Which 'race' gets ahead depends on which nation has the best scientists/inventors and a climate in which they can work freely.

If he looked at the peasant class living in London in the victorian age, and then at the peasant classes living in, lets say, China. How could he conclude a difference? Compared to him they'd all be uneducated and 'inferior'. His 'racism' would come down to different degrees of inferiority.

Oh, and did you know that Darwin's line of argument was a major inspiration to Hitler?

~Peace

~RN

...I do have alot of pride in being German. Maybe, for the wrong reasons and maybe for the right. I am what I am. What the earth randomly picked me in specific to be so I can't argue with that. The German people did a great many things, Europeans as a whole in comparison to the Africans and Asians. Although, it does appear that the Asians are catching up on the technological scale. They've always had real high IQs but invested their skills in their religion, I think.

...I do have alot of pride in being German. Maybe, for the wrong reasons and maybe for the right. I am what I am. What the earth randomly picked me in specific to be so I can't argue with that. The German people did a great many things, Europeans as a whole in comparison to the Africans and Asians. Although, it does appear that the Asians are catching up on the technological scale. They've always had real high IQs but invested their skills in their religion, I think.

There is a lot of compelling research recently that shows that people from the orient have a higher IQ than those in Europe. What annoys me is that we're allowed to publish research saying that, but research that says European IQs are higher than African gets sensored. It's only a tiny difference really, just two or three points. You could probably talk to two people with a difference of 10 IQ points and you couldn't tell which is which for hours, if at all.

Ofcourse, the Chinese have had advances in technology(such as gunpowder) long before the Europeans, as have the Arabs. When Darwin made those statements, Europe had been 'in the lead' of the 'human race' for only a couple of hundred years. Which is only 5-10 generations, when he knew that it took much longer than that for evolution to occur(although he didn't 'know' the speed of evolution like we do).

I suppose that no matter how much of a genius you are, you can still be a biggoted fool, twisting your findings to suit your desires.

I know one thing sure. Darwin is racist. I thing this must stay here for reference.

Darwin claimed that the "fight for survival" also applied between human races. "Favored races" emerged victorious from this struggle. According to Darwin the favored race were the European whites. As for Asian and African races, they had fallen behind in the fight for survival.

At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.

Charles Darwin, "The Descent of Man" chapter 6

23th paragraph, count the ones without star

(www.)"http://book-worm/darwin-charles/the-descent-of-man/chapter-06.html"]book-worm/darwin-charles/th...chapter-06.html[/url]

from (www.)"http://mediamonitors#####/harunyahya44.html"]mediamonitors#####

/harunyahya44.html[/url]

This is not racism.

Darwin stated what was apparent; what appeared fact at that time.

That does not mean that he was intentionally singling out a single race.

Let's take another example:

If you summed all of the money earned by white people, and all of the money earned by black people, then you will find that the white's make a lot more.

That is a fact. It is a backed up, highly evident and accurate observation. It is not racism.

You're very ignorant to think otherwise.

How is that NOT racist?

Peace

Darwin would certainly be classed as racist in the modern world but at the time he lived it was a fairly common view .

I often see that paragraph quoted as evidence usually copy/pasted from some cretinist website or other in some bizarre effort to discredit evolution . Of course if the people using this argument ever read the book they would find that Darwin ,despite the racism of some of his views , actually argues that mankind is one species and that 'races' are fairly arbitrary . Quite progressive for his times really .

We know things, today, that Darwin couldn't have known. We now know that enviroment has a greater impact on which species survive than head-to-head competition. I believe Darwin was racist, but not in the way that we view racists today. Today, the people who are racists are generally unintelligent, with low self esteem, and they redirect their frustration at other races (like Hitler, with Jews, gypsies, etc). In Darwin's time, it was common to view races as superior or inferior. Had Darwin been raised in the 21st century, I doubt he would have been racist.

And let's be honest, there are appreciable differences between the races. Africans are better at than Europeans and Asians at certain tasks, and the same can be said for any race, on average.