Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ummHana

Kufi Hats

Bismillah ar-rahman ar-rahim

Aslamu alikom wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

InshaAllah you all will be able to help answer my question about Kufi Hats (i think thats what they are called, the small hats that many brothers wear)

Where are they from? how did they become part of the Islamic dress code?

I think at the time of Rasool Allah sallallahu aleihi wa salam they used to wear something more like 'turbans' am i right? would this hat be considered similar to this? and lastly are they bid'ah? i dont know if they could be catagorised as Bid'ah but inshaallah some of you can help me with answers to these.

jazakom Allah khairun in advance

ma'a salaama

UmmHana

PropellerAds

Assalaamu 'alaikom,

It is mentioned that Anas Bin Malik radiAllahu 'anhu used to wear a kufi (cap). [sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 2 pg #863]

So whether its a Turbin or a kufi, it is from the Sunnah to cover the head either way. However there is difference on whether it is a Sunnah of custom or ibaadah, and it seems the correct position is that it is a Sunnah of customs. However, it can also become an issue of differentiating oneself from the kufaar and resembling a Muslim, which is a whole other discussion in of itself.

=========================

“Wearing the Turban is from the Sunnahs of Custom

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.siraat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/pure/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1339"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.siraat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/pure/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1339[/url]

In Silsilatul-Ahaadeeth idh-Dha'eefah, hadeeth no. 129, Ash-Shaikh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albaanee (may Allaah have mercy upon him) mentions a hadeeth with the following wording:

"The prayer (As-Salaah) in a turban is equal to ten thousand good blessings."

The Shaikh then says that this hadeeth is fabricated (Mawdhoo') and then says the following:

"I have no doubt about the falsehood of this hadeeth, because the Most Wise Legislator (Allaah) weighs the affairs with straight balance and justice. So it is not sensible that He would make the reward for the prayer in a turban like the reward of prayer in congregation, rather even more multiplied in blessings than the congregational prayer! Especially with the great difference between the ruling of the turban and the ruling of the prayer in congregation. For verily the most that can be said about the turban is that it is recommended (Mustahabb). And actually the correct opinion is that it is from the Sunan ul-'Aadah (the Sunnahs of custom or culture) and not from the Sunan ul-'Ibaadah (the Sunnahs of worship).

In reference to the prayer in congregation, then the least that can be said about it is that it is a highly stressed Sunnah (Sunnah Mu'akkadah). And it has even been said: "Verily it is a pillar from the pillars of the prayer and that the prayer is not correct unless it is prayed in congregation." And the correct view is that it is an obligation (Fareedhah). The prayer is correct if it (prayer in congregation) is left off, along with that being a serious sin (i.e. the prayer alone is acceptable but the man has sinned in not praying in congregation if he is able). Thus, how could it be befitting of the Most Wise, the Most Knowledgeable (Allaah) to make the reward of the prayer in congregation equal to the prayer in a turban, rather, even less in reward than the prayer in a turban?! Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr probably noticed this meaning also when he ruled that the hadeeth is fabricated (Mawdhoo').

From the effects of these wicked hadeeths (about the turban) and their erroneous directions is that we see some of the people when they want to enter prayer, they tie around their head or around their caps a handkerchief so that they can attain, as they claim, this mentioned reward, while the person does not do anything that will cleans his soul or purify it!

And from those things that are amazing is that you see some of these people committing the sin of shaving the beard. Then, when they stand to pray they do not feel any deficiency for themselves due to their laxity in this matter (shaving their beards) - that never bothers them at all. But in regards to the prayer while wearing a turban, then that is a matter that should not be taken lightly with them! From the proofs of this is that if a man goes forward to lead them in the prayer who has a beard, they will not be pleased with him until he puts a wrap on his head. And if someone come forward to lead them who is wearing a turban - even though he is a sinner in his shaving his beard - that doesn't bother them and nor are they concerned with it. Thus, they have reversed the Sharee'ah of Allaah (the Islamic Law) in that they have made allowed what Allaah has forbidden and obligated - or almost made obligatory - what He has merely allowed.

And the turban - if there is any virtue confirmed for it - it only means the turban which the Muslim beautifies himself with in his normal circumstances! And he distinguishes himself with it from the other people. It does not mean the turban that is used temporarily to perform an act of worship while wearing it for a few minutes. For the person can barely complete the act of worship before he puts it away in his pocket! And the Muslim is in more need of the turban outside of the prayer than he is in need of it in the prayer. This is because of the ruling that it is a symbol for the Muslim by which he appears distinguished from the disbeliever, especially in these times in which the clothing of the believer has become mixed up with the clothing of the disbeliever. This is so much so that it has become difficult for the Muslim to spread the greatings of peace on those whom he knows and those whom he does not know. So look how the Satan has diverted them away from the beneficial head covering to the head covering that is innovated, and he has made fair seeming to them that this one (the innovated one) is sufficient and enough without there being any need for that one (the correct wearing of it) or any need of letting the beard grow which makes the Muslim distinct from the disbeliever. This is as the Prophet (Sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Be different from the Mushrikeen (polytheists, idolaters, those who worship other than Allaah). Trim (and in another narration "cut") the moustaches and leave the beards alone (i.e. let them grow)." This was reported by the two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim) and others on the authority of Ibn 'Umar and others, and it is discussed and checked in "Hijaab ul-Mar'atil-Muslimah" (The Hijaab of the Muslim Woman), pp.93-95.

The likeness of this person who puts on this temporary head wrap for the prayer is like the person who puts on a fake, temporary beard when he wants to pray! And even though we don't see these temporary beards in our lands, I do not consider it something too far off that I might see it someday. This is due to the ruling of many of the Muslims blindly following the Europeans. For indeed I read in "Jareedat ul-'Alam" in Damascus, issue no. 2485, dated Thul-Qa'dah 25, 1364 Hijri, the following:

"London - When the intensity of the heat became unbearable and the Council of the House of Lords was in session, the President allowed them to remove their temporary (fake) beards!"

So is there anyone who will take heed?!"

Source: Nudhum ul-Faraa'id mimmaa fee Silsilatay il-Albaanee min Fawaa'id, Vol. 2, pp. 137-139.